Big belly and yoga

Options
Hello,

I would love to know if there are people out here doing yoga... while being obese / having a big belly (and pretty much everything big)?

If so... How? And with what kind of youtube videos for example?

I really would like to start with yoga again, but somehow I always get annoyed because my body is in the way; it's just too big and too plump. And it is somewhat demotivating. Maybe I just haven't found the right way 'for big people' yet?

So if someone knows how to ... Please fill me in :blush:

Replies

• c_ch330
    c_ch330 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I ran across this video sometime ago about a woman who believes in modifying exercises to accommodate the plus size body. She has a channel so you might find something to help you with yoga. As you lose weight and become more fit you will be able to do the moves better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skwkh7rE4p4
  • Annemariezonderma
    Annemariezonderma Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @c_ch330 and @Annie_01 thanks both!! I'll check them out :smile:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Look up Dianne Bondy!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    My local studios were always welcoming. Never felt fat shamed. And (good) instructors welcome questions about how to modify for any type of body issue, from size to muscle pulls or injuries. I felt like I got waaaaay more out of a studio class than the few videos I tried. More motivation, more help and adjustments tailored to me and my needs, more gentle corrections when doing something that might hurt me, more everything. When watching a video at home, It was too easy for me to roll over and say,” whew that one was too hard, I’ll just wait for the next pose.”
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I ran across this video sometime ago about a woman who believes in modifying exercises to accommodate the plus size body. She has a channel so you might find something to help you with yoga. As you lose weight and become more fit you will be able to do the moves better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skwkh7rE4p4

These are brilliant!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    My local studios were always welcoming. Never felt fat shamed. And (good) instructors welcome questions about how to modify for any type of body issue, from size to muscle pulls or injuries. I felt like I got waaaaay more out of a studio class than the few videos I tried. More motivation, more help and adjustments tailored to me and my needs, more gentle corrections when doing something that might hurt me, more everything. When watching a video at home, It was too easy for me to roll over and say,” whew that one was too hard, I’ll just wait for the next pose.”

A good instructor is wonderful for yoga newbies (and not so newbies). I started practicing yoga when I weighed over 200 pounds. My first class was very demoralizing because the teacher didn't pay much attention to individual students or give modifications for poses, and I later learned that some of the poses she was doing in a "beginner" class were rather advanced. Everybody else around me was able to hop into crow pose with no problem, and I felt like a complete failure. It took me a long time to try yoga again after that, and I was still obese when I did find a good teacher.

A good teacher should be suggesting modifications to make poses accessible for students, and giving alternatives for those who can't or don't want to do a pose. For example, I was not able to do shoulder stand when I was obese because I just could not lift my own weight off the ground. My teacher had me do "legs up the wall" pose or use a block to support my rear end instead. A good studio should have props like blocks, straps, blankets, etc. and instruct students on how to use them. Also, it is totally fine in a yoga class to use your hands to shift flesh out of the way. Some instructors remind all the students to do this when appropriate (even those who have less flesh to move). Finally, part of the point of yoga is to observe your body as it is, without judgment. A good teacher should encourage a practice that is appropriate for your body without causing either physical or emotional pain.

Many studios offer free or discounted classes for new students, so you may be able to check out a variety of classes around you and find a teacher you like.
  • Annemariezonderma
    Annemariezonderma Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @debrakgoogins I will, thanks!

@springlering62 Thanks, I will certainly look into a yoga class here in town. I recognize the thing you said: When watching a video at home, It was too easy for me to roll over and say,” whew that one was too hard, I’ll just wait for the next pose.” Years ago I tried yoga and when something didn't work out I was like: ok, I'll wait for the next move.

@apullum Thanks for telling me your experience!! I will definitely look into that yoga class. I would really like to learn how to do yoga, so an instructor/teacher would be a good help. Hope I can win this from my anxiety :')
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    going to classes in the beginning is important. it will help you learn proper alignment and such which will help you not get injured.
    a good studio should be welcoming. the studio i work at tries to be welcoming to all body types. i do modifications for those who are little fluffier than others. or i warn them that something might be uncomfortable.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out a beginners class as other's have suggested. Some studios even let you book 1:1 time with an instructor to tailor to your needs. Then, if you start playing with it at home, I highly suggest getting blocks and a strap. I hope you enjoy your new journey!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    I study martial arts and also some yoga (mostly martial arts). I started at size 24 (morbidly obese) and am now a size 6. What I can do is now different, but it was always about practicing, going slow but getting a little better compared to where I currently was.

The best thing I can say is that for me, a mental shift was needed. I also took on meditation, and that was super helpful for me. The body you have right now is what it is. It's guaranteed to change, and the choices you are making are pushing that change in the direction of more health, flexibility and strength, which is awesome.

While it's not about yoga, you might find James Clear's video on How to Get 1% Better Every Day helpful.

Have fun, and don't stop!