new and need to lose

Options
i'm 46 years old and just found out that i'm diabetic i weight 218lbs and need to lose at least 50 lbs. my big problem is sweets and carbs. i need all the help i can get

Replies

• SASSIE
    Options
    i'm 46 years old and just found out that i'm diabetic i weight 218lbs and need to lose at least 50 lbs. my big problem is sweets and carbs. i need all the help i can get
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck :flowerforyou: I too love my sweets and carbs. Everything in moderation :flowerforyou:
  • HeaterM
    HeaterM Posts: 275
    Options
    Well i can tell you the advice i was given.
    1. Drink water when you think your hungry, sometimes your just thirsy.
    2. Just get rid of the junk food in your house, you dont want to be more tempted than you already are.
    3. Log in what your going to eat for the day before you eat it, you may be shocked at the calorie results that might make you reconsider.
    Hope i helped a little
    Heather:happy:
  • marathongirly
    marathongirly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You have made a giant leap by being here. Great site and lots of good info. Know you aren't a lone and remember one day at a time, one workout at a time, one meal at a time and one lb at a time.
    Sweets and processed food is so addictive which is what the manufacture companies want...your repeat business. Try to get whole foods, unprocessed and slowly you will notice the difference in how you feel and how you feel when you go back to them. Pay attention to what your bodies is saying when you eat certain foods. There are reasons you feel lazy after a big lasagne dinner with bread..
    Log what you eat and you will be amazed at how fast it adds up..Get outside and walk and enjoy every step. Make it a pleasureable experience and you'll want to do it more.
    All the best!:flowerforyou:
    Jennifer
  • Binkylove
    Options
    Hi,

Im new too. I am 42 and very overweight too. Ineed to lose 66 pounds. There is history of diebetis in my family. It hasen't been traced in me yet but i want to do something about my weight before it does.
    This is a really good site and everyone is so friendly and willing to give advice. Im sure you will do well on this site. My weigh in day is Wednesday, so im keeping my fingers crossed that i have lost some weight.

Good luck in your weight loss.

Pamela XXX

:flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Hi Sassie, and welcome to THE best site on the web!
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Also, drink lots of water, that seems to help alot too. :drinker:
    I also LOVE sweets, and have a "real thing" for ice-cream. If you do too, check out the no sugar added slow churned kinds, such as Edy's and Bryer's have. It's pretty much JUST the same as "the real thing"! I've managed to lose most of the weight that I wanted to, even with eating icecream almost every night! MFP IS the greatest!!! :heart:
  • angeemiller
    Options
    This site is really going to help you. Just tracking everything you eat is going to surprise you probably once you see it all down on paper. It won't take you long to get your calories under control as you really begin to learn what is in your food choices. You will begin to make better choices in a very short time. And while it may seem unlikely to you now, you might even find that you get caught up in the competitive spirit of this whole process and be tempted to go under your recommended minimum calories, even before exercise deductions. DON'T DO IT!!! Always eat the minimum 1200 calories, and if you don't already, start exercising. Even if it is just a little bit in the beginning, you will be amazed at how quickly you will ramp up. Definitely drink the water too, and you will watch the pounds just melt away. Congratulations on your commitment to lose the weight. :flowerforyou: Coming here is the first step. Good luck!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site so much. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.