Abilify

Options
My doctor just prescribed me abilify, anyone ever taken it? Did you gain a lot of weight on it?

Replies

• IThinkImDumb
    IThinkImDumb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Abilify is one of the more weight neutral antipsychotics which is good news.

No antipsychotic will make you gain weight, but they can increase appetite so as long as you are mindful of this you should be ok.

Keep checking in with your doctor if you have questions
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Abilify is one of the more weight neutral antipsychotics which is good news.

No antipsychotic will make you gain weight, but they can increase appetite so as long as you are mindful of this you should be ok.

Keep checking in with your doctor if you have questions

There can also be some gain from water retention, although it's rare with abilify.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have been on Abilify since before my current weight loss of over 25 lbs since January. I have gained and lost weight on several medications for depression. You will not gain weight if you don't eat more than you burn. Count your calories to lose or maintain.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight on the 2 times I took it
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    nevermind
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was on abilify for two years and it did increase my appetite a lot which caused me to eat more hence gain weight. I have since switched to Latuda which still has the same effect on my appetite but I am weighing my food and tracking my calories and so far have lost 60 lbs in 15 months so it's possible to lose weight on antipsychotics!