Are Heart Rate Monitors worth it?

Options
I have been thinking about investing in a HRM but I dont know if I should? Does it track your calories burned also? I go running outside and I go on dailymile.com to find out how many calories I burned but I dont feel it is exact.

Shoud I research them or does anyone on here know a lot about them?

Replies

• lplautz
    lplautz Posts: 19
    Options
    I love my HRM. It is Polar brand. It does calculate the calories burned. You program your information ie height, weight, age..so it is pretty accurate. I would reccomend the investment!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think so, I never work out without mine. It tracks calories burned, etc. and takes into account your age, sex, height, weight, etc. so is likely pretty accurate.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I love mine !! I could never do with out it
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    I personally have not been able to afford one, however that being said a good majority on here swear by them and yes they do track calories burned. One popular one I have seen on here alot is the Polar FT4 I believe it is.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Polar FT4 on Amazon for $63. If you go to the "Search" button and enter in "HRM" you should find a ton of posts discussing the various HRMs. But it seems to me that Polar was the one most everyone here relies on. I can't wait to get mine in the mail!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are worth it and and the most accurate way to calculate calories burned. The Polar Ft4and FT7 are popular models. If you decide not to get one of those at least get one with a chest strap.
  • Bob_Sugar
    Options
    Yes 100%!!!!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you want to be accurate about the calories you are losing then its a great investment. I use mine ALL the time and especially when I want to eat some of those calories I've worked off. The Polar watches are great...from the simple FT1 and on. I'd be lost without mine :indifferent:

Good luck to you in finding one :flowerforyou:
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. It is Polar brand. It does calculate the calories burned. You program your information ie height, weight, age..so it is pretty accurate. I would reccomend the investment!

How much and where did you get it?
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I hear they are indispensable...I can't wait to get mine hopefully in the next week or two. :) I will probably get the Polar FT4 or 7. :)
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!! I just got mine last week and I lost 1.6lbs already! Its way more accurate than the gym machines or MFP. Its totally worth it. I got the Polar FT4 and it only cost me 61bucks with shipping!
    Good luck!
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    beyond yes they are worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 BUY ONE but make sure it comes with a chest strap. Polar is always a good brand
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 does not calculate miles tho as it doesn't have GPS. I usually use MapMyRun for that.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap one off ebay for under a fiver, I'll see what I think before going for an expensive one, maybe you could do the same?
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Polar FT4 on Amazon for $63. If you go to the "Search" button and enter in "HRM" you should find a ton of posts discussing the various HRMs. But it seems to me that Polar was the one most everyone here relies on. I can't wait to get mine in the mail!

I did the same thing. Amazon was a good deal. I love my FT4...
  • dieselbugparrot
    Options
    It really depends on the hrm you buy. My boyfriend bought me what we thought was a nice one, Timex, and it estimates the amt of calories burned and actually the numbers it gives me look more like what a man would burn not a women. I do think it is fun to see how many minutes I'm in my zone, avg bpm and peak bpm. So while I don't depend on it for calories burned I do wear it pretty often.
  • Misty1777
    Options
    bump
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'll tag along on this thread so I can make an educated purchase.

Does anyone know if a HRM will track miles like my pedometer? I wouldn't want to wear both.

ps - on another post today I read that someone bought the SportLine Duo 1010 at Sport Athority for $70 and they were happy with it.
  • xandra_27
    Options
    I love my HRM!!! Mine's an Ekho and I bought it at Walmart for around $60.
  • nicolemilstead
    Options
    I was thinking of buying the Nike+SportWatch GPS. Does anyone have that one? It seems very nice! I might buy it soon!