Intermittent Fasting

Options
bdgfn
bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
A question for those of you who are doing IF. I am doing keto, and want to incorporate IF at some point. My question about IF is about what can be consumed during the fasting hours? I figure water, and probably coffee, tea, etc. What about Bulletproof coffee, which includes butter, coconut oil and heavy whipping cream (2T each) and coconut milk? It isn't solid food, but it does contain calories. Thoughts?

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Some of the internet gurus will promote fatty coffee during a fast. I don't think its necessary or a healthy response. I usually have a little coffee or tea.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    For the thoughtful responses, thank you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    OP, why are you looking at trying IF?
    Do you find you have trouble sticking with your current calorie goal on a "regular" eating schedule?
    IF will not help you lose weight, that comes down to CICO, what it does for many is allow them to adhere to their deficit without feeling deprived or being hungry. So if you are having trouble adhereing to the deficit, IF may be worth a shot, otherwise no point.

Technically, anything that contains calories would be breaking your fast, meaning you would not be following the IF protocol, but does that really matter, given IF does not hlep you lose more weight than non-IF on the same caloric intake.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Just to say...I don't to keto and I don't do a formal IF. I do however usually eat between 11am and 7pm. These are the eating times that seem to work for me to help stay in my deficit. Most of the time...

I think it depends on why you are doing IF. If you want to do it by the rules then there is no consumption of calories during fasting. If you are using IF to help stay within your deficit then if you choose to have something outside of your eating time that is your choice.

I don't do any diet or eating schedule where I have to follow rules...I like to make my own. I find if I am making my own rules that I can better stick with my weight loss.
  • michele0730
    michele0730 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some intermittent fasting for a week now. I eat my healthy meals between noon and 8 pm. I am not a big fan of breakfast, never have been, so I enjoy a couple of hot cups of tea during the morning until noon. I only wanted to lose about 5 pounds and at 62 years old, it has become more difficult to do that. In addition, I can't do my usual many miles a week of walking due to a knee injury that is healing. This way of eating and curbing calories is working for me, I'm down 2.5 pounds in just about 9 days. I do make sure the meals I eat are healthy. I could see myself maintaining this way of eating fairly easily. I veered off a bit on the weekend due to social plans, but I was still conscious.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @bdgfn, we have a friendly Intermittent Fastiing group here at MFP where people who are currently practicing it share and support one another. I'm one such person but I don't have an an answer or a share to your question; others there will so why don't you stop by and say hello, take a look around and see if we might be able to be a supportive resource to you in your current fitness, health and wellness journey.

Here's where we are: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Hope to see you soon. Wishing you the best; enjoy your day.
  • avaisadora
    avaisadora Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello! First week IF and I’ve only lost 1lb, I hear of all these amazing stories of 6lbs down on their first week and it’s hard for me not to be disappointed. I eat no more than 1400 cal/day and do 4 intensive works out a week. I’m a female, 5’8 and 165lbs - looking to drop 25lbs. Any one experience the same slow weight loss or have any feedback to share :)
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I started IF few weeks ago..I eat between 8-2
    To the above poster..I havent lost any weight either..I actually gained 3 pounds (Im 5'8, 137) but started working out more/weights...so I'm going to continue as is and weigh in another week or 2
    Im sticking to 1400-1600 cals..might need to adjust in the future if things don't change....i love IF because i need a clear start end time to eat...not hungry and have no cravings or desire to eat in the evening. Ive gone off my schedule for holidays etc and have no trouble starting back up the next day.

Kim
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    avaisadora wrote: »
    Hello! First week IF and I’ve only lost 1lb, I hear of all these amazing stories of 6lbs down on their first week and it’s hard for me not to be disappointed. I eat no more than 1400 cal/day and do 4 intensive works out a week. I’m a female, 5’8 and 165lbs - looking to drop 25lbs. Any one experience the same slow weight loss or have any feedback to share :)

Your weight loss is going to be determined by your calorie deficit. Not everyone weighs enough to create a deficit large enough for those huge losses. 1 pound is a really good rate of loss for someone weighing 165.
  • lark1964
    lark1964 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm no Jason Fung, but it seems to me like a diabetic going an extended period without eating anything but apple juice may cause some issues.

You need to have an understanding of the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetics should *not* fast, for many physiological reasons, just as they should also not consume processed sugar.

An organic apple juice or cider, btw, is not a processed sugar, it's a juice from a fruit, with naturally occurring sweetness.

I also don't drink apple juice (it's still too sweet for my taste), I suggested it to someone who needs to have something more than water or tea or coffee.

If my doctor says it's OK for me to try fasting and it's working, I think it's probably not a bad thing for me as a Type 2 diabetic to work with. Especially since my A1C is down to 6.8 from 9.2 (where it was on meds, and I was - and will continue to do so - refusing insulin injections) and we've reduced all OTHER medications to the point I will likely be medication free by my next quarterly visit.

He's asking for suggestions. Make an effort not to judge, dear.