Opinions on hot yoga?

Options
I’ve never done yoga let alone hot yoga. It intimidates me for a couple reasons. First, I’m told that I would need to be in the front of the class so women don’t feel weird...I don’t know, that’s just what I’ve been told. (Maybe I give off a creep vibe). Second, I prefer to strength train and I’m not sure I buy into benefits of stretching in a hot room. I guess I just don’t understand the point, but if it would help me maintain weight and be more flexible, I’m down. Opinions?

Replies

• J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    Options
    You can position yourself anywhere in class regardless of the creep factor. Don't let someone dictate the rules that don't exist. Yoga is far harder than I ever thought it would be. The benefit is range of motion. You will be able to stretch easier and your range of motion will be so much better. That's my experience. You should try it and see.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    keredbro42 wrote: »
    I’ve never done yoga let alone hot yoga. It intimidates me for a couple reasons. First, I’m told that I would need to be in the front of the class so women don’t feel weird. Whatever. From a female, that's dumb...I don’t know, that’s just what I’ve been told. (Maybe I give off a creep vibe).

Second, I prefer to strength train and I’m not sure I buy into benefits of stretching in a hot room. I like yoga for some flexibility to help me with my competitive powerlifting. I HATE, HATE, HATE hot yoga, but love normal vinyasa yoga.

I guess I just don’t understand the point, but if it would help me maintain weight and be more flexible, I’m down. Maintaining weight is about your calories. Flexibility, yes, yoga can help.

Opinions? My opinion is do regular vinyasa yoga, not hot yoga.

• sarahEA88
    sarahEA88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The front of the room thing is bull-*kitten*. Most new people head towards the middle or back. If an instructor want you up front as a new person, then it's so it's easier for them to help/adjust you so you don't hurt yourself. But in general, your location in the room is completely up to you. People are not usually requested to move unless it is to make more room.

My personal opinion is that yoga has benefits regardless of the temperature of the room. I actually don't like hot yoga. The instructors called my headache and nausea "detoxing", but it was definitely dehydration/over heating, but some people do great and get a lot out of it. I've tried a lot of hot yoga at studios, regular temperature at studios, and just the free classes at my gym. I think a good instructor has more benefits than any specific room temperature. I currently attend the free ones at my gym because he's the best instructor I've had. I recommend
    you try some different classes and see what you like.

Side note- don't lift after yoga, you could hurt yourself. Unless it's a specific "warm-up" yoga practice, have yoga be a standalone workout or a end to your workout.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have found a lot of benefit from hot yoga and regular daily flow yoga.

I do hot yoga once a week. While most yoga is good for breath control, I find hot yoga superior in this category. As this relates to weight lifting, breath control has helped me get to heavier lifts. I also love the sweat you get out of it, and I am never sore after hot yoga. I always feel uber stretched and incredibly relaxed afterwards.

If you are not into hot yoga, or you try it and you just can't get past the sweat or the temps, daily flow still has amazing benefits for flexibility and mental benefits as well. I do this at home almost every day.

From my experience, it all aids in flexibility, breath control and core strength. Those are the benefits I have gained from yoga. Which style you choose is 100% up to your personal preference and I highly recommend to give it a try! The men in my class flow wherever they like. They don't have to be in the front...I am not sure why anyone told you that.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga (all yoga) - I don't know if it's any better of a workout but I feel like I can get in a deeper stretch and there's something satisfying about sweating out buckets (I've weighed myself before and after and sweated out three pounds of water, and that was with drinking about 20 oz). I like running in hot weather for the same reason. I think it's really just a matter of personal preference. And I've never been creeped out by having a guy behind me in class. Put your mat down wherever you want.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I’ve never done yoga let alone hot yoga. It intimidates me for a couple reasons. First, I’m told that I would need to be in the front of the class so women don’t feel weird...I don’t know, that’s just what I’ve been told. (Maybe I give off a creep vibe). Second, I prefer to strength train and I’m not sure I buy into benefits of stretching in a hot room. I guess I just don’t understand the point, but if it would help me maintain weight and be more flexible, I’m down. Opinions?

Haha...you'd be feeling just like the sole woman in the weight room of a gym....
    Yoga is more than just stretching. As you progress with your practise, you'll find that a lot of the poses require a lot of strength. It will only support your regular training. You can start by yourself by following video/youtube channels, and find out in the privacy of your living room, if it's for you. Personally, 'hot' isn't my thing. I get steamed up enough as it is, no need to heat up the room, too.. B)
  • sharon8271
    sharon8271 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It’s strange that they would ask you to be upfront. The men in my classes sit wherever they want. I’m more focused on poses rather than whoever is around me. Try out different types of yoga classes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I dislike yoga and saunas, so hot yoga to me sounds like the worst. Lol

Why are you looking at doing hot Yoga? Yoga def does have its benefits, but you may want to see if it lines up with your goals.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I might second what quicksylver said.
    Just do regular vinyasa yoga for a while. See if you like it. See if you appreciate the benefits.
    I find that maintaining flexibility is extremely important, that it takes work to do this, and that a yoga practice is an excellent way to do that work.
    I don't like hot yoga. I find it uncomfortable and I sweat so much I can hardly stay on the mat even with a towel, which just gets soaked and gross.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my sister (a certified yoga instructor) about this the other day. She HATES hot yoga because she feels it gives people in the class a false sense of muscle relaxation due to the heat and leads to overstretching and injuries more often. She says at her practice they've discontinued offering it. FWIW.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    go where ever you'd like to be in the studio.
    hot is not necessary. you don't burn more calories. you don't detox. it can lead to an additional risk of injury because of hyperextension.
    regular yoga has the same benefits. it will help with flexibility, strength, detressing
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    New people ALWAYS go in the back so they can see others especially if they don't know what they are doing. I love it. I have been doing hot yoga for 7+ years now. I hate yoga if it isn't hot because it just doesn't feel good and hurts my joints and body. I don't think the heat does much. It just makes it feel better in my opinion, lol.
  • Daivuce
    Daivuce Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    New people ALWAYS go in the back so they can see others especially if they don't know what they are doing. I love it. I have been doing hot yoga for 7+ years now. I hate yoga if it isn't hot because it just doesn't feel good and hurts my joints and body. I don't think the heat does much. It just makes it feel better in my opinion, lol.

The same here. I have done both and found hot yoga more relaxing and easy on my joints, plus as a sauna addict I feel like I get 2 for 1 out of it. The only downside with it is that studio gets pretty smelly :(
    Can't comment on the benefit for weight lifting, but you will get more flexible no matter which type of yoga you choose.
  • keredbro42
    keredbro42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the insights from everyone!
  • Bwilty7
    Bwilty7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the insights from everyone!

What are you looking to benefit from yoga? As a weight lifter, if you have enough mobility to reach the proper positions already, stretching and elongating can actually hurt your lifting performance. If you're looking to increase mobility due to lack of ability, go for it. Yoga trains different muscle tendencies than lifting (slow vs fast twitch). What's your MO or goal in yoga?