I want to cut but afraid of losing muscle

OK, here are my stats. 6’ 2”, 202 lbs. have been working out for two years very consistently. I never miss a day of my routine. I must’ve had some newbie gains because I gained about 20 pounds over the last two years. I want to work on my abs so that they can be seen. Currently I’m probably 16% body fat so just a good healthy level right now. I want to do a cut but I’m afraid of losing all the hardEarned muscle. I thought about doing intermittent fasting and then taking BCAA during The fast. There is a huge debate in the fitness community on whether intermittent fasting grows muscles due to increase HGH. I feel like intermittent fasting will make me lose muscle. Anyone had experience with this? I started as a hard gainer toothpick, And I’m finally in a good place mentally and I don’t want to lose what I work so hard to get. Do I just need to get over this?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @JLgainz1, IF might help you better achieve your calories consumption goals but it alone won't add to or rob you of your hard-earned muscles. Continue lifting smartly and eating at a level that supports your training, then ask yourself what are you going to do with them visible abs if and when they arrive?

I'm an older guy but have had periods of more visible abs in my 50's and they're starting to say "hi" again now that I'm in my 60's and at my goal weight. Honestly, they never did anything for me other than to swell my head. But, you're a young guy and your mindset is a whole lot different. Chase athleticism and your body will naturally showcase itself more favorable if your feeding is correct.
  • midwestj
    midwestj Posts: 4 Member
    Losing fat will almost certainly cause a loss of lean body mass as well. But this is not entirely muscle mass, some is water, glycogen stores, and other stuff that is not muscle.

You have to ask yourself, how important are the abs? Do you plan to walk around with your shirt off all day every day? Do you normally show visible abs when you are at your average maintenance body weight?

If not, the abs are going to be a lot more work to maintain than whatever perceived benefit they are providing.

Your muscle mass makes you more useful, harder to kill, and more attractive with clothes on.

So anyways, if you still want to "get shredded" you will pay a small price in hard earned muscle for it. You can always gain back the muscle. But remember with weight gain, fat and muscle gain are inextricably intertwined. These processes cannot be separated, only skewed.

20lbs can be gained in a month with the right program and diet. Maybe you still have quite a bit of gains to be had as a novice lifter. Check out this: https://startingstrength.com/get-started

Novice doesn't mean inexperienced in this definition. It means that you still can maybe progress workout to workout. And if you haven't exhausted novice linear progression yet, you are almost certainly still a novice. Then you can definitely add some more lean body mass and strength.
  • nab212
    nab212 Posts: 42 Member
    I went through the same thing man. I lost quite a bit of size. It's hard not to when you are at a deficit. I also intermediated and still do. BCAAs will help during your fasting window though with keeping some protein synthesis going and hindering catabolism. I kinda live under the rule of got to sacrifice one for the other. For me, it's an never ending cycle. As far as gain size, lose definition and vice versa. Especially if it's natural. I think HIIT cardio is the best route or a slow steady pace for 30 minutes to an hour. Maybe at an incline. Just gradually work you deficit down as you go. I think I made that mistake. That's just my opinion though.
  • JLgainz1
    JLgainz1 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you everybody for the advice.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Note that I have zero in common with you, OP, as I'm still very unfit and therefore unqualified to advise! However, I remembered reading this article some time ago, and you might find it useful?

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/cost-of-getting-lean

[ETA: It includes a great infographic that breaks down the pros and cons of getting to certain levels of leanness.)

Thanks for posting this, SueSue!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2019
    JLgainz1 wrote: »
    OK, here are my stats. 6’ 2”, 202 lbs. have been working out for two years very consistently. I never miss a day of my routine. I must’ve had some newbie gains because I gained about 20 pounds over the last two years. I want to work on my abs so that they can be seen. Currently I’m probably 16% body fat so just a good healthy level right now. I want to do a cut but I’m afraid of losing all the hardEarned muscle. I thought about doing intermittent fasting and then taking BCAA during The fast. There is a huge debate in the fitness community on whether intermittent fasting grows muscles due to increase HGH. I feel like intermittent fasting will make me lose muscle. Anyone had experience with this? I started as a hard gainer toothpick, And I’m finally in a good place mentally and I don’t want to lose what I work so hard to get. Do I just need to get over this?

Most people already addressed the major items, but i wanted to note a few things.

The increase in HGH while fasting is for mobilizing fatty acids. Its also not generally outside the physiological range. And most importantly, HGH does not increase cross sectional muscle mass. Even taken exogenously, it only increases water weight and can improve connective tissue.

And if i can find the studies, there is evidence that spreading protein may provide a better environment for muscle gains as MPS occurs more frequently. IIRC, Layne Norton, PhD showed that during his PhD thesis and it has been replicated a fee times.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I was also going to mention Layne Norton & see someone already did. BCAA’s while fasting would take you out of the fasted state.