Sugar cravings before periods

Options
I have noticed i excessively crave sweet around 3-5 days before my period. Yesterday i finished an entire tub of icecream! Does anyone go through this. What do you substitute sugar with which works? Ive blown my cals and am afraid of the impending weight gain!

Replies

• DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, not necessarily for sugar but just hunger in general. I fought my way through it and did not go over my calories, but I was miserable the whole time.

I have since had a hysterectomy, but still have ovaries, and now I do start to wonder whenever I have cravings and extra hunger if I would've been starting my period soon if I still had all the relevant parts. (No point in keeping track of cycles anymore for me, really.)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I used to think I was craving ice cream too. Turned out I was just hungrier - for many of us, our metabolism revs up premenstrually in preparation. For me, the increased hunger is the first and sometimes only sign that my period is imminent.

Try eating regular balanced meals and snacks at maintenance calorie levels and see if that helps.

I second this, increasing my calories a couple of days before my period really helps me from going completely off the rails.
  • sarahq81
    sarahq81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If I’m really hungry I assume I do need a bit extra food so I just have t without going mad - and I’m the same as some of the other posters I get a nice 3 or 4 pound loss after the period ends and the bloat subsides!
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I crave salty food at that time of the month. Put me in a room with potato chips, and they will be gone.

I've not found a great way to alleviate the hunger and to manage the specific cravings. I know in my head that it's not true hunger (not to the extent that I end up overeating), and that the cravings are caused by hormones. I've had limited success eating baked chips instead of regular chips, or getting in a baked potato. I think my body specifically wants the potassium and magnesium in those foods. The good news is that the overeating for those few days hasn't slowed my rate of loss as long as I'm pretty diligent the other three and a half weeks.

It's always so much better when my period starts and the hunger and cravings dissipate. I find that I am naturally less hungry and often can't reach my calorie allotment on the days right afterward, so it does balance out. But for sure, it's a roller coaster while it happens.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance calories on those couple of days, and allow myself to eat whatever I'm craving.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Yes, started about a 12-18 months ago; the two days preceding menses onset.

Like other, if I try to fight it by restriction and denial I never win that war. The whole goal now is to find what satisfies it without (A), eating thousands and thousands and sometimes more thousands (not figuratively) of calories over even maintenance, and (B), NOT succumbing to the notorious dieting "all or nothing" mindset and blowing up a day or days or weeks because of it if I can't successfully accomplish (A).
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I get really bad sugar cravings the week before my period as well. During this time I fit sweets into my daily calorie allotment and go about my days normally.
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance calories on those couple of days, and allow myself to eat whatever I'm craving.

Same here! I inevitably eat at maintenance during my period. On day 1 of my period and before my period, I don't really get sugar cravings. But when day 2 hits, I feel such an intense sugar craving and cravings generally for larger portions of food because of the abdominal cramps. I can't tell from those pains whether hungry in pain or whatever, and all I want to do is feel better and eat at least one Green Black Organic milk chocolate bar. So this time around, I explored a lot on from friends online (Thank you myfitnesspal.com friends and community!) and offline and learned more about the calming and feel-good stimulating concoction that is L-theanine powder mixed with cocoa powder and coffee with or without some heavy cream and got through my period without eating over ~1800 calories on average each day. So, I was 124 pounds on Wednesday last week when my period started, and I checked my weight this morning, and I am still 124 pounds. So the drink worked. I sooo needed some chocolate in my life especially during my period, and I found a way to enjoy it without tipping the scale. Yay! o:)
  • sundaylouwho
    sundaylouwho Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've noticed something similar. My issues usually don't happen until I am a day or two into my period and then I feel extra hungry and light headed. Which happened to me yesterday. So I didn't worry as much about calories and tried to eat in a way that was going to be extra filling and satisfying for my body. Also, I keep a dark chocolate bar on hand for general sugar cravings so I had a piece yesterday.

I would suggest you find treats that will satisfy your craving without totally blowing your day. For example, I've seen some ice cream brands produce "mini" cups. And figure out what your maintenance calories are and be okay with eating closer to that level for a day or two.
  • beadowl
    beadowl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I’m an oldster, Post menopause. But to help validate your instincts, about 35 years ago, I did a study for one of my university courses logging cravings as they related to menstruation of my five roommates. They either craved sweets or salts depending on their hormonal phase. I’m sure there is lots of evidence on medical sites about this you can check on this subject. I haven’t kept up with the research, but it may help to know most women have this issue. It does stop after menopause. Hang in there ladies!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    beadowl wrote: »
    I’m an oldster, Post menopause. But to help validate your instincts, about 35 years ago, I did a study for one of my university courses logging cravings as they related to menstruation of my five roommates. They either craved sweets or salts depending on their hormonal phase. I’m sure there is lots of evidence on medical sites about this you can check on this subject. I haven’t kept up with the research, but it may help to know most women have this issue. It does stop after menopause. Hang in there ladies!

I'm 52. No signs of menopause. Hurry up already!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I craved sugar like a crazy person every single month since I started my period. The last 5 months are the first time ever I haven’t, since starting keto.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Oh and my husband never believed me, thought I was just using that as an excuse. Then our daughter who is mentally handicapped and only functions at a 6 month level started eating sweets like crazy during that time. And she hates most sweets any other time. I only figured it out (she is completely non verbal and can’t communicate in any way) because she seemed so hungry during those times but wouldn’t eat anymore of whatever she was eating. So I decided to just try a brownie (she hates them) and she practically swallowed it whole and kept wanting more.

Now he believes me! lol