Is my age to blame?!

Options
TrueEgyptian
TrueEgyptian Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,
So few years ago I was in my late twenties and started using my FP, consuming 1200 a day. I was losing 2 lbs a week easily, without exercising. I was at 101lbs by 2016. Due to depression and overeating I gained almost all the weight back in a short time. Now at age 33 I don’t seem to lose much on a 1200c diet. I only lose about 0.8 oz every 2 weeks. I also do intermittent fasting, and honestly I think that’s why I’m losing the oz’s. I’m not trying to be as skinny as before, but I look and feel my best between 115-110lbs. Do you think my age is the issue? As far as I know, I don’t have a problem with thyroid. My diet is fairly clean, but I allow myself a treat within my calorie intake.

Replies

• TrueEgyptian
    TrueEgyptian Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Before IF I was doing it for few months with no results. After IF, which I’ve started about 2 months ago, I’ve been seeing slow results.
    I do have a food scale and I use it all the time. I’m currently 123.2 lbs from 128 lbs when I started, so far I lost 4.8 lbs in 2 months. I lost even less in the last couple of weeks, about 0.6 oz
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    So few years ago I was in my late twenties and started using my FP, consuming 1200 a day. I was losing 2 lbs a week easily, without exercising. I was at 101lbs by 2016. Due to depression and overeating I gained almost all the weight back in a short time. Now at age 33 I don’t seem to lose much on a 1200c diet. I only lose about 0.8 oz every 2 weeks. I also do intermittent fasting, and honestly I think that’s why I’m losing the oz’s. I’m not trying to be as skinny as before, but I look and feel my best between 115-110lbs. Do you think my age is the issue? As far as I know, I don’t have a problem with thyroid. My diet is fairly clean, but I allow myself a treat within my calorie intake.

No.

37F
    SW:140
    CW: 124
    GW: 120

I'm losing right around the .5lbs / week MFP has me on track for, eating 1280 calories a day and 5 years older than you.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    If age is to blame, I should be gaining weight! ;)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You are still young. not that age stops one from losing weight but at 33 you are still young.
    Before IF I was doing it for few months with no results. After IF, which I’ve started about 2 months ago, I’ve been seeing slow results.
    I do have a food scale and I use it all the time. I’m currently 123.2 lbs from 128 lbs when I started, so far I lost 4.8 lbs in 2 months. I lost even less in the last couple of weeks, about 0.6 oz

you are already at a healthy weight. so at this point weight loss SHOULD be slow and 0.5lb/a week is recommended. with such a small deficit you need to be more diligent and accurate in food logging. Sure food logging SOUNDS like a no brainer and ridiculously easy but it isn't. MOST people make errors. with lots to lose that doesn't matter but once you are close to goal it matters.

Get a food scale. weight everything. CAREFULLY chose food entry from database (there are many errors as it's user populated). 5lbs in two months is not nothing, it's good steady progress.

lastly, with so little to lose, natural water fluctuations will mark progress. i'm up and down two or more pounds in a given week. i don't freak out thinking i grained weight or didn't lose, because as annoiyng as it is I know i've done my part (careful logging) and that the the process works over time. I weight daily and use a weight trending app which gives me info on TREND of weight.

ETA: you may also have just moved more a few years ago even if not purposeful exercise. just naturally walked more places or did more movement day to day.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No.
    I lost 1/2 my body weight at age 60 on 1200/day. I believed the myth that “it’s harder to lose weight after 40,” and consequently didn’t try. It’s not easy to lose weight, and keep it off, at any age. Barring any medical conditions, you can do this. You are losing, you’ve done this before. It may not be coming off as fast as you would like, but give it time. Log everything honestly and accurately it will happen.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    age isnt the issue
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What? 33? That’s prime of life! I know women in their 50s/60s whooping it up and killing it in the gym losing weight and getting strong.

Maybe too many treats? Scale- yes, log everything.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 30s a doctor told me the (non-weight related) issues I was having were due to my age. Turned out the problem was that the building were I worked had toxic mold >.<

It's not your age.

My mom is 81 and struggles to stay above Underweight because she is so active and eats high volume food that is not calorie dense.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I knew someone had that information handy, @kshama2001