How much does excess skin weigh?

Options
Hi
Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find anything when I searched.

I've got a lot of weight to lose and will probably end up with excess skin. I don't know whether I need to factor this in to my goal weight.

Does excess skin weigh a significant amount? Any ideas what I'll be looking at for a loss of around 130-150lb in total?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    kpkitten wrote: »
    Hi
    Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find anything when I searched.

I've got a lot of weight to lose and will probably end up with excess skin. I don't know whether I need to factor this in to my goal weight.

Does excess skin weigh a significant amount? Any ideas what I'll be looking at for a loss of around 130-150lb in total?

Loose skin after weight loss is mostly down to genetics, age and how quickly you lose. Some get it, some don't and there's no real way of answering your question. Perhaps just aim for the top end of the BMI range for your height and see how you feel when you get there.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    It really depends on so many factors

I've seen shows where the patients started out over 600lb

Some had 40+ ponds removed from there stomach but looked to see be a fair of fat

Another had less than 10lb removed but she had gone into the underweight catagory and her skin purely was just skin, hardly any fat on the removed tissue
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I'm currently down 150lb
    I have excess skin but still a fair bit of fat

I won't really know how much excess skin there will be until I get down closer to a normal BMI....... And maintained for a couple of years as it can take a while for the skin to catch up and settle down so what you see immediately after getting to your goal might not be what you see down the line

Also if your not already doing so start lifting weights, it really helps the bodies appearance....... And helps with remaining functional when your old
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It depends on the extent of loose skin and the amount of tissue/fat trapped within. I had/have a fair bit to lose and I'm pretty certain I will end up with loose skin. My goal weight isn't really a goal, but more of a range. As soon as I'm satisfied with my weight loss, regardless of my actual weight, I'm going to stop. You can set any goal you want right now, but as you get closer to your desired weight you can re-evaluate if you wish.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Depends on age and elasticity of skin and loose the weight slowly so skin can adapt and shrink back. A weight loss of 1 kg a week spread over body is what I read online for avoidance saggy skin. If you are young it will shrink back quite well. Also if you gained and lost several times in life a big amount it also makes a difference as skin is more stretched out. Some YT videos show excess skin removal surgery and is usually several kg seen up to 9 kg. Lately I watch obesity videos after someone in YT comments mentioned it works as motivation.
    Also use cream/lotion to massage skin which may help some.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've got a very long way to go before I get there anyway but I wondered whether I'll "look" lighter than I actually am when I reach my goal because I'll have several pounds of skin.
    I'm currently down 150lb
    I have excess skin but still a fair bit of fat

I won't really know how much excess skin there will be until I get down closer to a normal BMI....... And maintained for a couple of years as it can take a while for the skin to catch up and settle down so what you see immediately after getting to your goal might not be what you see down the line

Also if your not already doing so start lifting weights, it really helps the bodies appearance....... And helps with remaining functional when your old

I'm currently aiming for the very top of my "ideal weight" bracket for my height, because even that seems very ambitious!

And I'm on it with the weights, love feeling strong!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    kpkitten wrote: »
    Hi

That’s really hard to say. At my lightest (lost 140lbs) mine probably would have weighed 1 or 2lbs at most. There was very little fat left in the area.

I’ve gained a bit since (15lbs) then due to various factors and with the added fat it’s probably around 5lbs.

That said genetics and other various factors will play a role as well.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The skin itself doesn't weigh all that much. Problems arise when a layer of remaining fat conspires with gravity to drag the stretched skin down, creating the perfect environment for skin infections and rashes. That final layer of subcutaneous fat can be very difficult/slow to lose, since you'll likely be relatively lean at that point. That's why the sum total weight of skin removal is usually a combination of skin and fatty tissue.

It's unlikely you'll appear lighter at goal due to excess skin. The opposite is more likely, to be honest, but that's a problem for another day! Either way, you'll be a lot healthier :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    after 110 lbs loss when my doc tested my skin we came to a nice round 4-5 lbs of loose skin estimate. Explains why i could never get below 120 i never had the fat to lose i thought i did xD Not a ton, But it is there. seems anywhere from 0-10ish pounds for the average overweight person and when you get into higher numbers it seems they are also removing alot of fat with the skin. Skin doesnt weigh alot.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    When I got my excess skin cut off, it weighed about 3 pounds I think they said. I got 18 inches of excess skin removed from my stomach.