Popcorn and salt, how to account for the sodium

Options
I have a craving for popcorn in the evenings. It's about the only crunchy, salty food I eat on a consistent basis. I air pop Orville Redenbacher's white popcorn in the microwave and have the calories properly chosen from MFP. But, the problem I don't seem to know how to account for is the salt I add to the popcorn. I spray the popcorn with a zero calorie butter spray and then add popcorn salt.

The reason I would like to track the sodium is that I have high blood pressure, and take medication to keep it in check. I have tried making a recipe for the ingredients, but when I add it to my diary, it's like 6000 mg of salt. Maybe, that's correct but I don't think so. Any I idea how to account for the amount of sodium?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    are you not able to weigh/measure the salt before adding it?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    How much salt are you adding? Do you weigh or measure it or just throw it on willy nilly?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There might be sodium in the butter spray. 6000 does sound like a lot.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You probably have a bum entry in your recipe. Most of the database entries are user entered, and many are not correct.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    I have a craving for popcorn in the evenings. It's about the only crunchy, salty food I eat on a consistent basis. I air pop Orville Redenbacher's white popcorn in the microwave and have the calories properly chosen from MFP. But, the problem I don't seem to know how to account for is the salt I add to the popcorn. I spray the popcorn with a zero calorie butter spray and then add popcorn salt.

The reason I would like to track the sodium is that I have high blood pressure, and take medication to keep it in check. I have tried making a recipe for the ingredients, but when I add it to my diary, it's like 6000 mg of salt. Maybe, that's correct but I don't think so. Any I idea how to account for the amount of sodium?

Totally aside from what might be in the Orville Redenbacher's corn (is it just plain kernels?) or added to the butter spray, one teaspoon of salt is 6000 mg of salt, or 2325 mg of sodium. How much salt are you adding?
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You probably have a bum entry in your recipe. Most of the database entries are user entered, and many are not correct.

Yeah, and even a lot of bar codes scan as the wrong item. I'll buy a sandwich from Safeway and it will say its from Freshtake or Publix. Or I'll scan a can of something and give me incorrect nutritional info compared to the can, even if its "verified".
  • 1martinimomma
    1martinimomma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I will just throw in a reasonable number for sodium and hope for the best. After eating my bowl of popcorn last night, I noticed there is a lot of salt remaining in the bowl due to it sticking to the popcorn butter spray. So, even if I measured a 1/2 tsp of salt sprinkled over the popcorn, who knows how much I would actually consume.

Thanks everyone for you valuable input. I appreciate it.