How to not be embarrassed at workout classes...?

Options
2»

Replies

• cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I know not everybody has had the same experience I have, but I joined Planet Fitness about 2 months ago. I'm 54 and now weigh 235 lbs. You see every body type and age group imaginable in there! The trainer at my location is fantastic! He was great at helping me find a plan that would work. They have classes and do not allow more than 5 people at a time. I'm having a great experience, but we all know, for every person who has had a great experience, there is somebody who can tell you something negative.

Shop around and look for the place where you feel comfortable. Go at different times of the day for a tour to see who is there. You will find your niche. My other experience is most people are so worried about themselves that they don't notice others. Hold your head up high and go for it!!!

Connie in KY
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    So, did you go, @Midnightmooncosplay?
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I doubt anyone will be looking at you. Be proud of yourself that you are taking this step. Hold your head high and get moving. Good Luck.
  • Jess_Heartson11
    Jess_Heartson11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, the better it will feel. You will find there are plenty of other people in the classes early on in their weight loss journey. There will also be the skinny minnies that look like fitness models - but they weren't born that way, and will never laugh at you because they work hard to get where they are.
    You could always try clubbercise or boogiefit first because they are in the dark, so it might help you relax a little more.

• dblst10
    dblst10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You are awesome just for going. I’ve never had body image issues but I can assure you that really nobody is paying attention in those classes and nobody will remember you when I think the exercise class one month after the fact😋 which is really just a great thing. We are all wired to forget minute details! It’s awesome!!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Just remember that we all start somewhere. We all aren’t fit jumping in, it takes time and practice to get to where you want to be. When I go to fitness classes and get winded I would be embarrassed because I wasn’t as fit as everyone else, but I realized I’ll eventually get to the place everyone else is at!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the class was new once, felt awkward, incompetent and (in most cases) like it was darned near impossible . . . for several sessions, if not longer. It's normal.

They stuck with it, had fun, and got better.

You can, too. You'll be surprised how soon, if you stick with it, you'll be having fun, too, and not worrying how you look (plus encouraging other, newer new people).

The cool people remember what being new felt like. You'll likely be surprised how soon, if you stick with it, you'll think of them as "my new friends from gym".

Don't be worried. Dive in, introduce yourself, say "hi", ask questions, have fun. It'll be good. ;)

(I did classes for a long time while obese. It was good :) .)
  • Midnightmooncosplay
    Midnightmooncosplay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the kind and encouraging comments. I went to check out the gym and ended up signing up for a membership. I'll be going there to work out tonight, and to a class tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the kind and encouraging comments. I went to check out the gym and ended up signing up for a membership. I'll be going there to work out tonight, and to a class tomorrow.

Excited for you!

Let us know how it goes, OK? :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    When I see an overweight person at the gym, I silently cheer them on because they are taking the right steps to get healthier and it takes a tremendous amount of courage to put yourself out there like that. I bet I am not the only one rooting for them.
  • bionicshouldemfp
    bionicshouldemfp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Best advice I’ve ever gotten (although sometimes hard to apply): the only person you’re competing against (or comparing yourself against) is you - be better today than your were yesterday
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my recommendations (if you haven't gone already) - show up a few minutes early and try to talk to the instructor ahead of time - introduce yourself, let them know you are new and highlight any health issues you may have that they need to keep an eye on (i.e. I took my sister to a TRX class last year and she has a mild form of cerebral palsy, so she let the instructor know and they helped her to modify some of the moves since she has a weaker left side)

and then take a deep breath and have fun
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The people I admire the most are the ones who are really out of shape and who show up. You just know it's harder for them but they are still there putting in the time.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Normally I get over feeling embarrassed by pretending I'm not. Generally everyone has always been very nice and encouraging when I go, especially when I let them know I'm a bit nervous.