Cheat meals on vacation

Options
I’m going on a cruise next month and I’m kinda freaking out that I’m going to consume more calories than I should. I’ve worked so hard to shed the pounds, I just want to keep the pounds off. (And actually lose more)

Replies

• thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation Thursday. I'm going to track and eat in maintenance.
  • porkchopsandapple
    porkchopsandapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The great thing about cruise food are the buffets and options! You could probably find yourself a lot of very healthy AND delicious options then you just gotta control the quantity of of food you're eating!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    To be honest one of the best things about cruises is that you can eat as much as you want as often as you want. One week will not set you back if you get back on track when you get off. I would enjoy a lot (while making some smart choices along the way while you can) and stay active. The ship will have a gym as well as some sort of running/walking track. Make good use of both and eat for pleasure. Vacations should be enjoyed.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Like others have pointed out, the ball really is in your court. That being said, if I'm on a (very rare for me) vacation, I'm probably going to enjoy some good food. Sure, I'll try to make decent choices (at least sometimes), and watch portion sizes, but I also will often accept that I'm going to put on a couple pounds and will just have to work them back off. I think losing them after that is easier than trying to lose them the first time.

In the big picture, I find the enjoyment I get far outweighs the couple pounds I might gain, and a few weeks to get them back off is worth the enjoyment.

But, that's me.

You may feel differently, so do what makes you happy. It's going to be up to you to avoid all the buffets, fit in the workouts, and control your portion sizes (sometimes asking for a to-go box, even if you won't eat it, and putting part of your meal in it at the start can help if portion sizes are generous).
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I recently went on a 10 day vacation and ate everything in sight. I decided I just wasn't going to worry about what I ate while on vacation. I did keep track of everything - and it was ugly. Got home. Gained 10lbs in 10 days! Ugh! But, according to my TDEE calculations, I should have only gained about 2lbs. Sure enough, within a week I had lost 8 of those 10 lbs. High Sodium and high carbs = a lot of water weight. Sure, I probably set my diet back a few weeks, but it was a planned diet break. I'm not worried about it. Same thing happened over Christmas break.

I'm on week 39 of my diet. I've lost weight on 31 of those weeks. Not bad. The few planned "diet breaks" caused me to be probably about 5lbs more than I would be now if I hadn't had done them. When you have a lot of weight to lose, 5lbs is nothing. Currently down 60lbs with 40 more to go.

I say lighten up on the diet while on vacation and enjoy yourself. And, you might want to wait a week or so after you get back to weigh.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy your trip. Eat till full and stay away from tons of sweets if you can help it.

Its a marathon, not a sprint. Dont sweat about a week.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I went off my counting for a 5 day cruise. I had more calories for lunch than I was used to and had no clue what was in my dinners and evening desserts. I waited 2 weeks to weigh myself once I got home and back on a deficit. I hadn’t gained at all! I was shocked. I bet if I had weighed immediately after the trip my weight would have been up. The food for me is a part of the cruise experience. If I was on a different vacation with grocery shopping needed, I would have been more motivated to stay on track.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've started looking at these kind of situations as a puzzle or a game, to see exactly how to feel full, feel treated, be nourished, and also stay within reasonable calories. I can't tell you how to turn it on, it's taken years to get here tbh, but if you focus on the feeling of how lopsided the pleasures of gaining v losing are, it might guide some choices. My best advice - aim for maintenance, loosely log just so you're not kidding yourself, and don't let yourself get too hungry - if you're starving, eat an apple or a banana and then go for the main.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I have a holiday/vacation plan that is foolproof, can't fail, guaranteed to work.

It's called the "I'm gonna enjoy myself and gain a bit of weight because in the long run it not that big a deal" plan.

It's easy! All you need to do is realise that putting on a little bit of weight every now and then isn't the end of the world and that relaxing and enjoying yourself is more than worth the few lbs/kgs you might put on.

There's nothing you can do in the few weeks of vacation/holiday time that can't easily be addressed during the other 48-50 weeks each year that you're not celebrating/relaxing/partying or whatnot.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I have a holiday/vacation plan that is foolproof, can't fail, guaranteed to work.

It's called the "I'm gonna enjoy myself and gain a bit of weight because in the long run it not that big a deal" plan.

It's easy! All you need to do is realise that putting on a little bit of weight every now and then isn't the end of the world and that relaxing and enjoying yourself is more than worth the few lbs/kgs you might put on.

There's nothing you can do in the few weeks of vacation/holiday time that can't easily be addressed during the other 48-50 weeks each year that you're not celebrating/relaxing/partying or whatnot.

I have no intention of ever locking down a weight and being scared of going over it slightly. I assume that even when I get all the weight gone I want that I will need to use a calorie deficit here and there for weight management. So if I plan to have slight gains later why should I be worried about doing it now?