Kicking myself

Options
I was a member here years ago. I lost weight, learned about lifting weights, made some friends and was very happy with my progress. Life just got in the way I guess, and I let things slide when I shouldn’t have. I moved across the country, from Florida to Wisconsin, and quit smoking recently l. Unfortunately, I also gained over 20 lbs and I’m no longer fit. So, I’m kind of kicking myself for being right back where I was when I started all those years ago.

I started lifting again this week, and tracking my food. I’m hoping to meet some friends so we can help motivate and support each other.

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off of here since 09...I have given up and deleted to many MFP accounts that I have lost count ....I am tired of being a damn yo-yo....I have also quit smoking...I had my last cig Jan. 2 due to a health scare that landed me in the hospital for 9 days ....congrats on quitting ....WE GOT THIS...feel free to add me :)
  • Johnk942
    Johnk942 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You sound really smart to me! You are beginning again. Welcome back. (I too, have roots in Wisconsin.)
  • goosefraba123
    goosefraba123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We all do it learning always spirals back around to the same point with a better understanding than previously at that point. Speaking from experience I can relate.
  • carriepatnode80
    carriepatnode80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is weight lifting the way to go? Compared to the elliptical? I never got into weight lifting that much but maybe I should.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Is weight lifting the way to go? Compared to the elliptical? I never got into weight lifting that much but maybe I should.

I did cardio for years and yeah it made me a bit smaller, but it didn't change my shape or anything. Started lifting last year and I have abs for the first time and definition in my arms. I weigh a little more than when I did only cardio but my clothes are looser and I look better. I still do cardio but mostly just walking around rather than running or spending ages on cardio machines.
  • bebib887
    bebib887 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    IronSky319 wrote: »
    I was a member here years ago. I lost weight, learned about lifting weights, made some friends and was very happy with my progress. Life just got in the way I guess, and I let things slide when I shouldn’t have. I moved across the country, from Florida to Wisconsin, and quit smoking recently l. Unfortunately, I also gained over 20 lbs and I’m no longer fit. So, I’m kind of kicking myself for being right back where I was when I started all those years ago.

I started lifting again this week, and tracking my food. I’m hoping to meet some friends so we can help motivate and support each other.

Good Luck and wish you all the best for your Succes
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Welcome back - how's Wisconsin working out for you?
  • carriepatnode80
    carriepatnode80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I did cardio for years and yeah it made me a bit smaller, but it didn't change my shape or anything. Started lifting last year and I have abs for the first time and definition in my arms. I weigh a little more than when I did only cardio but my clothes are looser and I look better. I still do cardio but mostly just walking around rather than running or spending ages on cardio machines.

True, the machines you are on longer than possible weight lifting. Something to think about.
  • FashionQueen86
    FashionQueen86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    IronSky319 wrote: »
    Life just got in the way I guess, and I let things slide when I shouldn’t have.

I was also a member here years ago. I tracked nearly every single calorie I put on my tongue. I watched the numbers, and i was steadily going down, losing the most I had ever lost in my life. But I graduated college, found no job, except a little weekend one that wasn't meeting my needs. Depression and anxiety have gotten alot stronger. I finally landed a full-time job but it's a job from the pit of hell. So, I started letting myself go a bit. But I also gained the most I had ever gained, and now, among public, I just feel embarrassed and invisible. Yes, I can kick myself too. But we're human. We just have to keep going. Just today, I opened back up this account. Had to reset the password becuase I forgot what it was. I just have to go back to the formula I did years ago. I was doing the apple cider thing and that seemed to help.
  • IronSky319
    IronSky319 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Welcome back - how's Wisconsin working out for you?

I love it. Hate the winter gear that hides the fluff and allows you to live in denial though lol

• ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.