I'm Hungry!

I think I need to plan more snacks into my day. I'm starving around 10:30am/11am and then again aroudn 3/4pm. So thinking that maybe a 200cal snack at both those times would help. Any suggestions? I've been exercising more lately and seems like my appetite is ramping up. Suggestions on snacks/ exercise and appetite.

Replies

• channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Carrot/celery sticks, Dole fruit cups are good and about 100 calories.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    eat a bigger breakfast, around 3-400 calories. eat a fruit salad or regular salad with just lemon juice as a dressing. one slice of toast with peanut butter...greek yogurt, a handful of almonds...
  • I usually eat a large apple followed by a glass of water. Its only 110cals and it fills me up (and I am big :laugh: )
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Try some protein snacks. They fill you up more than carb snacks.

My favorite lately is turkey bacon. Pop a few slices in the microwave and cook it until it's super crispy. It almost reminds me of eating chips. It has the saltiness and the right texture with protein and very little fat. And each slice is only about 25 calories (depending on which brand you buy and how they are sliced).
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    I'm always hungry especially when I work out before work. I eat lots of small snacks through out the day.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Apples are good. They're big, about 100 calories, and it's tough to eat too many of them.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    I like to snack on watermelon because you can eat TONS of it, but then I have access to a fridge at work. Popcorn is another good one, either microwaved (low cal variety, not the movie popcorn stuff) or using an air popper. Whatever you decide, either two 100-cal packs of something or yogurt or lots of veggies, be sure to pair it with lots of fluids.

Another thing to think about is what you're eating for breakfast/main meals. Some foods (proteins, fiber) will stick with you longer than others (processed carbohydrates).

For me, I've found that I prefer to have small equally caloric meals spaced every few hours. I've always been a snacker and this made more sense to me. I average between 5-6 meals a day that way.

Another trick to make sure your calories add up right, and eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, is to divide your daily cals by 4 (that's your meal amt) then divide that by 3 (that's your snack amt), if you want your snacks to be smaller than your meals.

Which this may be something you have to consider if you aren't where you can stop and eat, but rather where you can just pull out a granola bar or some peanuts to keep you going.

Congrats on exercising more!
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Bigger breakfast, more protien and lots of snacks. I have a friend on here that stays in calories but eats happy meals and corn dogs. You don't get very much food out of that when you stay under 1200. I on the other hand would rather make smarter choices that fill me up and I am never hungry. In fact I used to be famished by dinnertime before dieting and binge like crazy and now I hardly get hungry.

Some snack choices I use:
    Emerald almond 100 calorie pack (cocoa roast is great when you need choc. fix)
    Celery with hummus or 2 tablespoons low sugar peanut butter
    Baby bell mini light cheese
    reduced fat string cheese
    low fat cottage cheese
    greek yogurt with strawberries or blueberries
    carb smart ice creams for dessert once in a while

Just remember to check serving sizes and stay within your calories and you are good to go!! I don't think any of us are 100% good all the time me included but my food diary is open for viewing to friends if you want any other ideas.

I eat breakfast around 7:30 am snack at 10 am lunch at 12:30 snack at 3:30 pm and dinner around 6:30. , and dessert or a smoothie after I run on running days.