Veggie intake/veggie shake has me going over on carbs? Is that bad?

Options
Mshagla8687
Mshagla8687 Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all! I just started tracking my macros on here and I'm in the process of learning. I'm trying to learn how to have a balanced diet. My husband always makes this amazing green vegetable shake with the blender every morning that we eat for lunch as a meal replacement. It's one container from the nutri ninja (about 18 oz) of nothing but pure blended vegetables. But just by lunch time myfitnesspal is telling me I'm 13grams over on my carbs already just from a veggie blend? Should I be worried and ditch the green shake? My goal is to lose 15lbs. I require 1,300 calories a day to promote weight loss. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Macros ratios don't matter for weight loss, calories are what counts. As long as the veggies shake isn't causing you to go over on your calories it's all good :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If it's really just blended veg, seems hard to imagine it would put you over your carbs, unless they are very low. How many carbs and calories are in the drink?

For weight loss, being over carbs won't matter, but you don't want them to crowd out sufficient protein (and at 1300 I'd not go under MFP's default) or healthy fats.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What is your macro breakdown? That would help us help you. Also, how many grams of carbs are in the shake? I wouldn't say that your veggie shake putting you over your carbs for the day is "bad" but it may mean you will want to adjust your breakdown.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I just started tracking my macros on here and I'm in the process of learning. I'm trying to learn how to have a balanced diet. My husband always makes this amazing green vegetable shake with the blender every morning that we eat for lunch as a meal replacement. It's one container from the nutri ninja (about 18 oz) of nothing but pure blended vegetables. But just by lunch time myfitnesspal is telling me I'm 13grams over on my carbs already just from a veggie blend? Should I be worried and ditch the green shake? My goal is to lose 15lbs. I require 1,300 calories a day to promote weight loss. Thank you in advance!

The other posters had good questions on point to answer your original question, but I'm looking at your issue a different way.

How many calories is that and what is the macro breakdown for it? I add protein from protein powder and fat from various sources to my smoothies. All carbs doesn't keep me full for very long.
  • Mshagla8687
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you personalized your macro settings? Or are there starchy veggies in your shake? Either that or you are using faulty database entries maybe. How many carbs are you trying to stay under?

Regardless, macros don't directly affect weight loss. Calories are king for weight loss/gain, macros affect satiety and compliance.

Veggies and fruits are carbs. If you are choosing a low carb goal for some reason, yes it may limit you from having a lot of the sweeter veggies. If your only goal is weight loss, you can pick whatever macro distribution makes you feel best at your calorie goal.

If you have health issues you are dealing with, that may further complicate things.

I lost weight eating @ 200g of carbs daily, FWIW.

I'm using personalized macro settings I guess? This is all so confusing to me. On Anna Victoria's FBG Fit Body Guide she explains how to come up with the number of daily macros depending on your amount of activity, current weight, height, etc. In order to lose weight after doing the math I think I should be having roughly around 1,300 calories per day with moderate exercise. That's 385 calories for breakfast, 385 calories for lunch, 385 calories for dinner, and 130 calories on snacks. That's 35% carbs, 30% fats and 35% protein in one day. That's how I have it set on myfitnesspal. When I put in my 12 oz green shake for lunch I just look up "homemade blended veggie shake" and add it. My daily goal for carbs is only 130 carbs, but the veggie shake makes it sky rocket to almost 100 carbs from just the shake alone. I don't put allot of sweet veggies in the my blended shakes. Mostly just leafy greens such as kale, spinach, broccoli, lemon, ginger and turmeric. I don't know if I'm doing this right or not :( Thank you for your response!
  • Mshagla8687
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The other posters had good questions on point to answer your original question, but I'm looking at your issue a different way.

How many calories is that and what is the macro breakdown for it? I add protein from protein powder and fat from various sources to my smoothies. All carbs doesn't keep me full for very long.

In order to lose weight after doing the math I think I should be having roughly around 1,300 calories per day with moderate exercise. That's 385 calories for breakfast, 385 calories for lunch, 385 calories for dinner, and 130 calories on snacks. That's 35% carbs, 30% fats and 35% protein in one day. That's how I have it set on myfitnesspal. When I put in my 12 oz green shake for lunch I just look up "homemade blended veggie shake" and add it. My daily goal for carbs is only 130 carbs, but the veggie shake makes it sky rocket to almost 100 carbs from just the shake alone.
  • Mshagla8687
    Options
    EmHorn4 wrote: »
    What is your macro breakdown? That would help us help you. Also, how many grams of carbs are in the shake? I wouldn't say that your veggie shake putting you over your carbs for the day is "bad" but it may mean you will want to adjust your breakdown.

I'm using personalized macro settings I guess? This is all so confusing to me. On Anna Victoria's FBG Fit Body Guide she explains how to come up with the number of daily macros depending on your amount of activity, current weight, height, etc. In order to lose weight after doing the math I think I should be having roughly around 1,300 calories per day with moderate exercise. That's 385 calories for breakfast, 385 calories for lunch, 385 calories for dinner, and 130 calories on snacks. That's 35% carbs, 30% fats and 35% protein in one day. That's how I have it set on myfitnesspal. When I put in my 12 oz green shake for lunch I just look up "homemade blended veggie shake" and add it. My daily goal for carbs is only 130 carbs, but the veggie shake makes it sky rocket to almost 100 carbs from just the shake alone. I don't put allot of sweet veggies in the my blended shakes. Mostly just leafy greens such as kale, spinach, broccoli, lemon, ginger and turmeric. I don't know if I'm doing this right or not. I can't even figure out how to reply on here correctly. LOL! Thank you!
  • Mshagla8687
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If it's really just blended veg, seems hard to imagine it would put you over your carbs, unless they are very low. How many carbs and calories are in the drink?

For weight loss, being over carbs won't matter, but you don't want them to crowd out sufficient protein (and at 1300 I'd not go under MFP's default) or healthy fats.

I honestly have no idea! Lol. My husband just takes a bunch of kale, a handful of spinach, a lemon, some ginger, turmeric, broccoli, etc. and blends it up in the blender making a 12 oz blend of veggies for me to drink. So when I'm adding it in as my lunch I just choose "12 oz. homemade blended veggie drink" and add it in for my meal. My daily carb intake should only be 130 I think? And the green shake is almost a hundred carbs alone (that's what myfitnesspal says anyway.) It's almost easier just not logging my food. This has proven to be more complicated than I ever thought it would be. It took me 2 hours to cook dinner last night for my husband and I and trying to log just my macros. Lol
  • Mshagla8687
    Options
    Everyone on here is so incredibly helpful! Thank you!!!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here is so incredibly helpful! Thank you!!!

Hi @Mshagla8687 - I love me some veggie shakes! I also use kale, spinach, etc and it comes out no where near 100 carbs. My shakes are always under 20. I think if you measure the greens and make your own custom recipe - your be happy to notice it’s decently lower in carbs than you thought!

Happy veggie drinking! 🤗