Keeping track of calories, Sets and reps

Options
So for me I fined it somewhat difficult and time consuming to put in all my workouts or even on apps where you put it in almost everything such as time, miles, calories and so on. I would love to do so but is there an easier way, something simple where it only ask for maybe the time you do it in and calories and not all that extra stuff. Or is there a free app that can calculate all that for you? Heck I would buy a watch if it showed everything I did or if I did not have to put much in it. If not, then what’s the easiest way to do this or is there? I workout about two hours at the gym, so I do a lot and I don’t focus on just one thing. or is it better to focus on the arms one day and do legs the next and then cardio the day after. Just need a plan that’s affective and one that works.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    MFP will log exercise with minimal information just choose the options from the Cardio Database for calories and you can keep track of sets and reps in Strength Training Database.

• bodyofartsandmuscle
    bodyofartsandmuscle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    MFP will log exercise with minimal information just choose the options from the Cardio Database for calories and you can keep track of sets and reps in Strength Training Database.

Is there one you suggest works well?
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

One what? Just pick an option that reflects what you're doing, i.e. weights, stationary bike, etc.
  • bodyofartsandmuscle
    Options

One what? Just pick an option that reflects what you're doing, i.e. weights, stationary bike, etc.

I see what your saying and already do that, I thought you meant an app from the MFP. I don’t like doing that because I have difficulty trying to fine certain things. It’s all good, thanks anyways.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    For logging the workout go to Exercise and just add it using the database.

For keeping track of your actual actions/reps? You could enter them in "Check in > add a new measurement" Here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/change

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    You can add exercises to the database if you can't find them.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have My garmin dialed in "close enough" for calories. You want one with adjustable HR zones to get maximum benefit.

For reps... i just use Excel. I have my plan printed and fill it out in pen ... then whenever i have a slow minute at work i update my excel so i can see trends over time
  • bodyofartsandmuscle
    Options
    I have My garmin dialed in "close enough" for calories. You want one with adjustable HR zones to get maximum benefit.

For reps... i just use Excel. I have my plan printed and fill it out in pen ... then whenever i have a slow minute at work i update my excel so i can see trends over time

Thanks Silent! I’ll have to check it out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So do you actually want to track more info on the workouts merely to have more stats - or because you think it's required as a means of getting a calorie burn?

You may have missed the idea behind one comment above - logging Weights in the only MFP exercise database there is.
    Duration is it.

If you have a synced device, requires start time too.

Once you have found an exercise - it's in your list for quickly finding - no searching needed except the first time.

If you think you need a new exercise for like each aerobic class - no.
    Spin bike is there, aerobic class, weights, circuit training.

An initial investment of 1 min say.

If you do actually want to track the stats of say a lifting workout, app on Android, perhaps Apple too, FitNotes.
    Bigger investment for setup of workouts, but once done it'll let you track the sets/reps and increase as needed.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to track sets and reps, why not just use MFP and select the appropriate cardio and still in the cardio database select weightlifting or calisthenics for everything else? It will only ask for the time. A few seconds and you are done logging.
  • bodyofartsandmuscle
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    If you don't want to track sets and reps, why not just use MFP and select the appropriate cardio and still in the cardio database select weightlifting or calisthenics for everything else? It will only ask for the time. A few seconds and you are done logging.

Yah but I want to track my sets and reps so I can see my results. I just wish there was a quick way to do it. My goal is to loose the weight and become fit but I also want to see the progress I have made over time.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In just use the note in my iPhone to track every rep, set and weight. Since I have been using this for years I can go back and look at program I completed years ago to track my progress. I find it very easy and takes on a few seconds to record the set, unless I am doing drop sets in which case I record the data after the full set. I have tried to use apps and I find them to be confusing and restrictive, plus many don’t even have all the different types of exercises I perform. I also use my Apple Watch to track heart rate, calories burned and amount of time for each workout. Apple allows you to select from several different types of workout. If you’d like I can send you a sample of what my workout plan looks like in notes.
  • bodyofartsandmuscle
    Options
    In just use the note in my iPhone to track every rep, set and weight. Since I have been using this for years I can go back and look at program I completed years ago to track my progress. I find it very easy and takes on a few seconds to record the set, unless I am doing drop sets in which case I record the data after the full set. I have tried to use apps and I find them to be confusing and restrictive, plus many don’t even have all the different types of exercises I perform. I also use my Apple Watch to track heart rate, calories burned and amount of time for each workout. Apple allows you to select from several different types of workout. If you’d like I can send you a sample of what my workout plan looks like in notes.

I would love to see how you set yours up. Just message me 😉
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

I would love to see how you set yours up. Just message me 😉

If you look at my post here:
    For logging the workout go to Exercise and just add it using the database.

For keeping track of your actual actions/reps? You could enter them in "Check in > add a new measurement" Here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/change

..and do that, then your progress will show up in your Reports here, as a graph just like your weight and net calories and other stats do. You will also have a list available in that "Measurements" area that will list your individual sets and/or reps - whichever parameter you give it. The graph is a simple bar graph under "Reports."
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    For intense strength training workouts, I add in 300 calories for every hour I am at the gym. I have a fit bit now to track how much I actually burn and it is a bit over 300 calories per hour. If I am just messing around at the gym and not working too hard, I wouldn’t bother giving myself anything for it. It isn’t perfect but it works for me.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    For my workouts, I type in leg day, arm day or whatever most of the time and call it good enough. For me, stressing about logging all the little stuff makes it too time consuming for me.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a polar watch and HRM and both are tied into the Polar Beat app which “talks” to my Apple Health app which in turn “talks” with MFP. When I begin and end my workout (boxing, core, running, etc...) it automatically syncs with MFP and inputs all data.