Keto vs Macros

Options
So I was trying the Keto diet program. I started reading different talking about how keto is not good for a long term diet plan. I wanted to know what others think that are currently doing the keto diet.

I had a friend tell me to stop doing any diets and track my macronutrients.

So I'm trying to figure out which would be better to do at this time.
My end goal is to firm or tone up. I have the "dad" bod.
So I'm trying to make sure my diet or daily eating will help promote that.
Any comments/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    JJayjohn wrote: »
    So I was trying the Keto diet program. I started reading different talking about how keto is not good for a long term diet plan. I wanted to know what others think that are currently doing the keto diet.

I had a friend tell me to stop doing any diets and track my macronutrients.

So I'm trying to figure out which would be better to do at this time.
    My end goal is to firm or tone up. I have the "dad" bod.
    So I'm trying to make sure my diet or daily eating will help promote that.
    Any comments/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keto is fine for a long term diet plan if you choose to do it. There is zero evidence that keto is unhealthy long term, and in trials over a couple of years (Virta) with T2D's doing keto, compliance rate was around 74% (I believe).

I've been keto about 4 years. I started out around 20g of carbs, then after a couple fo years I tried increasing carbs a bit to ~50g but it led to overeating and weight gain, and some back sliding in my health. Now I basically eat carnivore. I'm at an even lower weight, my health issues are greatly improved and weight management is easy. I also like the higher protein that comes with a keto diet, because I do not favour lean meats like chicken. If you are looking for a moderate to higher protein diet, that is low in inflammatory sugars and starches, and you like meat, dairy, seafood, nuts, seeds, olives and coconut, and some vegetables, then keto might work for you.
  • JJayjohn
    JJayjohn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies! @Tumbles617 - do you have a link or sample meal plan your following.
    I did reading on keto - the plan I found was alot of eggs, bacon and burgers.
    I want to make sure I'm doing the keto diet the correct way.
    Or if anyone else has a link to sample diet plans.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies! @Tumbles617 - do you have a link or sample meal plan your following.

The only thing required to do keto right is suppressing carbs to usually 50g or below. And its advised to consume more than 3500mg of sodium.

There is nothing wrong with incorporating bacon, sausages, etc in your diet. But your diet would more ideal to incorporate whole goods like fresh cuts of meats, full fat dairy, cheeses, some nuts, low gi fruits and veggies.
  • Princesstri
    Princesstri Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Keri is a prescriptive diet, originally used to treat epilepsy and now used for other metabolic disorders. It may make you feel great or not and that’s the key. A lot of people find it hard to stick to long term (it’s easy to slip out if fat burning mode for a couple of days, even if you just have 1 beer). But if it makes you feel great, your body wants it. When I tried it, I struggled with athletic performance. I was bonking even in a spin class let alone actual training. So I’m more like low carb-paleo now, IIFM. Keto is often really good for i inflammation, but so is decreasing omega 6 oils.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

The only thing required to do keto right is suppressing carbs to usually 50g or below. And its advised to consume more than 3500mg of sodium.

There is nothing wrong with incorporating bacon, sausages, etc in your diet. But your diet would more ideal to incorporate whole foods like fresh cuts of meats, full fat dairy, cheeses, some nuts, low gi fruits and veggies.

@JJayjohn I wanted to point out that "consume more than 3500mg of sodium" was correct - increasing sodium can prevent or reduce the "keto flu" that is common when starting keto.

I also agree with the dietary suggestions above.