Does protein evaporate when you cook?

Options
1_up
1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
Do the fat/carb/protein counts change when you cook something, instead of just eating it raw or medium? For instance, if I cook a steak, does the protein content evaporate into smoke as its cooking? Would I get more protein by eating the steak rare or med rare, instead of well done? I really would like to get my bang for the buck and if not cooking things will help me meat my macros easier.. I'm all for it.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    well technically, all the carbon-linked chains degrade, or break up when you heat (burn) them. its not just limited to protein, carbs and fat also fall into this category.

yes the ratio's change, no you cant predict the rates
  • SafariLara
    SafariLara Posts: 172
    Options
    The fact that your asking about protein and your profile picture is hannibal... I worry just a bit... ;)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Do the fat/carb/protein counts change when you cook something, instead of just eating it raw or medium? For instance, if I cook a steak, does the protein content evaporate into smoke as its cooking? Would I get more protein by eating the steak rare or med rare, instead of well done? I really would like to get my bang for the buck and if not cooking things will help me meat my macros easier.. I'm all for it.

Thanks for your help!
    Not really.

Howver, you will lose some of the fat and water, but that's it.

Heating meat just denatures the protein, changing the shape of it. It's sort of like eggs, there are hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs...ect, but they are all eggs.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    First of all, what the heck are doing eating steak cooked well done?! Might as well have a piece of leather. Rare to medium rare is where it's at!

*just my humble opinion* :happy:
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    The fact that your asking about protein and your profile picture is hannibal... I worry just a bit... ;)

LOL!!
  • 1_up
    Options
    I've read before that its best to eat fruit when its picked off the vine, to get the most nutrition. I'm guessing the same applies to meat?
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

LOL!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I believe the point at which you really are underselling your food is when you burn it. The black carbon on meat should've been usable protein...
  • 1_up
    Options
    I believe the point at which you really are underselling your food is when you burn it. The black carbon on meat should've been usable protein...

So there would be no difference between eating rare or medium well?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Meat does lose some protein if cooked. As much as 9%, in some cases but the lower temp the less you lose.

So if you cook a chicken breast to 165 or so, that would be close to 9%.
    If you cook a steak to 145,(medium), it's closer to 7%. If you like it rare, it's probably close to 4-5%.

Now if you take 4oz of Chicken breast that has ~23g. 9% of 23g is about 2g. For a 6oz steak you'd have about 42g of protein and would lose 3-4g of protein.

However, the estimate of the content can be off enough that a couple of grams difference may not make a difference.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I've read before that its best to eat fruit when its picked off the vine, to get the most nutrition. I'm guessing the same applies to meat?

exactly, you should pluck it off the steak tree, sizzle the outside and eat.
  • 1_up
    Options

Meat does lose some protein if cooked. As much as 9%, in some cases but the lower temp the less you lose.

So if you cook a chicken breast to 165 or so, that would be close to 9%.
    If you cook a steak to 145,(medium), it's closer to 7%. If you like it rare, it's probably close to 4-5%.

Now if you take 4oz of Chicken breast that has ~23g. 9% of 23g is about 2g. For a 6oz steak you'd have about 42g of protein and would lose 3-4g of protein.

However, the estimate of the content can be off enough that a couple of grams difference may not make a difference.

Thank you for the breakdown!
  • 1_up
    Options

exactly, you should pluck it off the steak tree, sizzle the outside and eat.

So Screaming fresh is better to eat then frozen?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    You get your meat off a vine?
  • 1_up
    Options
    You get your meat off a vine?

Not at all. Just implying that maybe it would be more nutritious to eat from a fresh slaughter then to eat something frozen for 6 months.