Low Calorie Breads

Options
Noxxys
Noxxys Posts: 26 Member
Are there any low calorie breads that are worth it anyone that can recommend to me that are dense? I tried both Sara Lee Delightful and Nature's Own Life low calorie breads and both tasted like I was eating air instead of bread. At the moment I'm currently eating Ezekiel Bread cause I like the taste and it's very dense bread but it does gets expensive.

Replies

• Noxxys
    Noxxys Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    lol to me it is anything anywhere from 80 and under I consider low cal bread :p but anything from 100 and up I consider high calorie bread.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to buy "low calorie" bread but rather bread that is just sliced smaller so it has less calories per piece. I remember when I lived in the US, bread was usually 100 calories per slice because it was really big. Most of the bread in my country is 60-75 calories per slice because it is sliced smaller. In squares rather than rectangles. I would imagine there would be some similarly sized bread options available if you look for it. It also has the added benefit of helping you portion control how much you use to fill a sandwich with.
  • amy_ross86
    amy_ross86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I buy village hearth bread- 45 calories per slice and village hearth buns- 80 calories
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the natures own double fiber bread? It's 50 calories/slice and tastes a little more dense than the other lite breads.
  • Bwilty7
    Bwilty7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread. Not low cal, but it's delicious!
  • Wallelf56
    Wallelf56 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own White Wheat--110 for 2 slices
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    Dave’s Killer thin slice is 60 calories per slice and I second what @Bwilty7 says. It is delicious. Very tasty toasted and freezes well. It takes me several weeks to finish a load.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I third Dave's Killer bread. There is a thin sliced variety that is 60 calories per slice. Really excellent and hearty bread.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I third Dave's Killer bread. There is a thin sliced variety that is 60 calories per slice. Really excellent and hearty bread.

I fourth the 60 calorie Dave's killer bread <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Noxxys wrote: »
    Are there any low calorie breads that are worth it anyone that can recommend to me that are dense? I tried both Sara Lee Delightful and Nature's Own Life low calorie breads and both tasted like I was eating air instead of bread. At the moment I'm currently eating Ezekiel Bread cause I like the taste and it's very dense bread but it does gets expensive.

Alvarado St Bakery's Essential Flax is 50 calories a slice and is similarly sprouted and tasting like Ezekiel. It is harder for me to find, though. My old Trucchi's carried it for "only" $3.99, which is a bargain for sprouted bread in my area.

I like sprouted bread as bread made from flour makes me sleepy and sprouted does not.

Also, I can eat the heck out of really good bread but do not have this urge with sprouted bread. It is satisfying without being triggering.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    When I eat bread I use Healthy Life wheat - it has 35 calories a slice. I always toast it, that does the trick for me to make it not seem like i'm eating air