Extreme diet insomnia please help

Options
2»

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Be honest. Are you supplimenting these dieting periods with “fat burners” or other things not normally in your routine? It really seems like you’re having caffeine issues (a common ingredient in any pill in the diet industry).

Because the OP has insomnia? Believe it or not, insomnia is a common side effect when limiting your calories. Especially when fasting.

Probably more because the OP describes feeling jittery which could indicate use of supplements or increase in caffeine to try and cope with the lack of sleep (vicious circle). It's a reasonable question to ask.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already done so, cut back caffeine in all forms. Stay away from refined sugars and cut out all artificial sweeteners, especially in soda pop. Do not drink alcohol or smoke at least 3-4 hours before bed. Avoid large meals late in the evening.

Regular exercise can also help. Studies show sedentary people have more issues sleeping than those who exercise regularly.

Establish a consistent sleep schedule, try taking a hot bath with some lavender oil before bed.

The two best natural sleep aids are valerian and melatonin. Valerian is a sedative herb, used for centuries.

There are many causes of insomnia. Some are even related to certain medications. If it persists you should go see a Doctor.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    5htp may not be right for you. In some cases you can try tryptophan over 5htp when that fails. Also if you are adding other herbal supplements with this, are you taking these at the same time, can this be making you jittery have you tried eliminating some or all supplements to see which one is causing you side effects? Do you take any other meds, prescription or OTC? Being frustrated that you can't sleep adds a whole other issue which I understand completely.

Edited to add: if you are not cooling down properly for sleep or waking up hot sweaty, this might be something you need to work on as well. But this too could be too much supplements you are taking. Cooing down for sleep is important and staying cool during the night as well, maybe a fan, turn down the a/c, throw off the pj's, etc.

How much of a deficit are you in each day? Are you exercising in healthy amounts each day/week and do you eat these back? I can atest to using 4-7-8 breathing techniques as well, sounds too simple but it works.

Here is an article I found on 5htp, I have some other resources but I can't get my hands on it right now.

https://www.blueprintfitness.co.uk/serotonin-101-why-5-htp-does-not-work-for-you/

The melatonin isn't sleep a medication as its generally used shorter term to help a person reset their circadian rhythm which a doctor would need to diagnose you for. Preferably you want to enhance your meletonin production other ways such a sun light, foods and exercise (earlier in the day or morning the better). But you can add meletonin as an experiment .3 to 3 mg, there are also extended release versions you can try (start with the smallest dose and titrate up). Side effects of meletonin are headache, grogginess and I really don't feel that great like I missed the important stages in my sleep even if I did get sleep, even at .25 dose using liquid meletonin, so it doesn't work for me).

Hope you got some sleep last night. Magnesium glycinate over citrate, glycine and a couple of other amino acids have helped me in the past.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Too much magnesium could also be the problem. You said you take magnesium at night but you also put magnesium oil all over your body. You could be absorbing too much. For some people, too much magnesium can have the opposite effect and actually cause sleeplessness.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeeeeeeah I was going more off the fact that she’s feeling jittery and ticking off all the buzzwords for adverse caffeine reactions 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure why asking about fat burners, the most commmonly abused diet aid, is so out of the ordinary. But you do you I guess.
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Be honest. Are you supplimenting these dieting periods with “fat burners” or other things not normally in your routine? It really seems like you’re having caffeine issues (a common ingredient in any pill in the diet industry).

Because the OP has insomnia? Believe it or not, insomnia is a common side effect when limiting your calories. Especially when fasting.

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cannabis? Indica, not sativa.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I have had insomnia for pretty much my entire life.

A few years ago the Doctor prescribed me Circadin (yep, in Australia melatonin is only available through a doctor) and it worked a treat.

I don't use it constantly but rather as a 'reset'. If I find my sleeping patterns getting off-kilter I'll take them for a while (a week or so) to get me back to a normal rhythm and I'll be fine for a while, usually several months before things will get out of wack again.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »

A few years ago the Doctor prescribed me Circadin (yep, in Australia melatonin is only available through a doctor) and it worked a treat.

I don't use it constantly but rather as a 'reset'. If I find my sleeping patterns getting off-kilter I'll take them for a while (a week or so) to get me back to a normal rhythm and I'll be fine for a while, usually several months before things will get out of wack again.

Same in UK/Ireland but you can order it online. I use the same method of just using it for a few days to see if it helps sort my sleep pattern out, I prefer the slow release version (3mg) as otherwise I find myself sleeping deep for a few hours but then waking up in the middle of the night.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »

Same in UK/Ireland but you can order it online. I use the same method of just using it for a few days to see if it helps sort my sleep pattern out, I prefer the slow release version (3mg) as otherwise I find myself sleeping deep for a few hours but then waking up in the middle of the night.

Yeah, my issues only really revolve around getting to sleep rather than staying asleep. Once I manage to nod off I stay that way till morning.