Devastating News sabotages diet help

Options
What do you do when you receive news that upsets you so much you totally start binge eating? Little history is that I was one of 3 children in the family. I had an older brother that was adopted, the I was adopted, then my parents had a biological child a girl. About 10 years old I stated feeling like I was not being treated as fairly as my siblings and not loved as much as they were. I was always told by people that I was being paranoid and that what I felt was not true. Well about 6 weeks ago my stepmom told me that my Dad did tell her that he and my adopted mom didnt treat me as good or love me as much as my brother and sister, so my fears were confirmed. At first I was happy that I had been validated, that I was correct that I want not loved or wanted. Then it hit me really hard that had I been treated equally or loved as much life would have been so much different. I have been seeing a shrink and a counselor about my issues prior to this news and found out I must have had an issue as a child that caused me to binge eat and now they both confirm that I was most likely eating to try to cover up the feelings of not being wanted or loved. I am trying to get back on track but I am having a really hard time getting over this news. I dont hate my adopted parents as its not their fault, of course they are going to love a biological child over me and they are going to love the son more than an extra female child. So how do you cope with news that just makes you want to eat and eat.
Ps I gained 15 pounds in the month after hearing the news, I have managed to love some of that but feel really bad I allowed that news to derail me. Thanks for any help

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you've had to go through that in your childhood. Can't have been easy and then to have your beliefs confirmed has clearly knocked you hard. Obviously I can't talk from experience but what I would like to say is that your adopted parents have already impacted your life so profoundly, why let them control one of the things that you can completely take charge of (i.e. what you eat and in more general terms, living a healthy - and happy - life). What happened has happened, it's in the past and you can't change it. However, don't let that become an easy excuse to fall into bad habits and let your weight balloon. Take back control.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    So sorry. I have a super obsessive mind and have seen therapists about it. Is it at all possible that you have been so consumed by this fear that you weren’t loved that you pressed them over and over again on it until they kind of just cracked and admitted something that maybe isn’t FULLY accurate? I only ask because I have projected my deepest anxieties into people in a way that I created what I was afraid of. Hugs. Keep talking it out with a pro!

One thing that counting calories has given me is control. When my mind spins with worry or obsessive thinking, I cannot control it. I cannot control how people respond to me during the day or whether certain people do what I expect of them. However, I can control my health. It brings me back to earth a bit. Good luck!
  • teemix1
    teemix1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    csplatt, no I never pressed them about loving me less ever, I never brought it up. They brought it up to me when I was telling my dad some personal things about myself. I have never let him know I felt unloved (my adopted mom died when I was 20 of cancer and I never said anything to her either) so what my stepmom and dad said was true and real not something they said because of anything I said.
    yep I too like the counting and seeing it as it makes me more accountable. I am just worried that I will get back into my funk and start binge eating again. I have managed 2 weeks now of being on track so I am trying to just take it one day at a time.
    Sad thing is I still love my adopted mom and dad a lot and would not ever say how hurt I am as I dont want to hurt my dad. I have a bad problem with treating other way better than I treat myself, I need to learn to treat myself better I guess.
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I became an emotional eater as a child. My biological mom never wanted me....from the start. She did and does her best to love me. She aborted every other pregnancy but me. This relationship is the foundation of a long hard emotional tie to food. The only time I really saw her love was when she cooked. She is better now...still can rock my boat with one word!!! Food addiction...or emotional eating is hard to overcome cause you can't lay it down all together!! Find another way to cope. I color in coloring books. Play games, anything I can do to keep my mind and hands busy busy!!! You will get through this and so many other obstacles!!! Add me if you want to!!!!
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing to try to keep in perspective is that you are not a less worthy person. Your parents are objectively horrible people. Yes, it is normal to have a different type of bond to each of your children to some extent, but to love one of them less and treat them as less for any reason is deplorable.

But the real family you have are the people who love and value you, whether they are blood or friends or whatever. Surround yourself with the people who make you feel like your best self and empty out your big bag of flying rats' patooties for anyone who treats you like garbage. When you have none to give you will feel a lot better.

My dad wasn't always the nicest person when I was a kid and he has often made me feel belittled and disrespected. I will always love him but I haven't cared what he thinks of me in years. I can observe the difference in the way he affects me vs how he affects my siblings who still give a flying rat patootie what he thinks. I am immune to his judgement and it has made me a more secure person.

Every time you catch yourself worrying about it, think of time when they made you feel bad and ask yourself if it is worth your energy to care. I think you'll find that it isn't. Then take a deep breath, stretch your chest and abdomen out to release the worry knot, and move on with your day. I don't know if this method will work for everyone, but it does wonders for me.

Once you have unburdened your mind, focus in on a specific change you want to make. Maybe trying to work in more vegetables or getting in some exercise, but whatever it is, don't overburden yourself with it either. Just do whatever little thing makes you feel like you're making forward progress. Then compound the changes to create forward progress. Remember that weight loss isn't a linear downward slope. A journey is a slow meandering process.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Many of us are emotional eaters and deal with trauma, particularly from our childhoods. Healing has not happened overnight for me and I think that it rarely does for people. But one thing that I have found is that when you feel like binging, there is something to be said about allowing yourself to binge. Once, many years ago, when I was bulimic, I struggled to get control over my disorder. I decided that I was just going to let myself binge and not throw up so that I could actually stand in my disease, and let myself look like my disease, and feel my disease fully without running away from it. I gained about 20 pounds before I could gain control of it.

Today, when I feel like abusing myself with food, I give myself some compassion. Overeating is what I have always done, it's a tool I've used since I was a wee vulnerable child. It's not going away. So, what I CAN do is learn about it. I can let it happen and sit down into it, look around it, study it, let it be what it is until I can really grapple with it.

You can't overcome what you don't know. LEARNING your disease is ugly but empowering, and it can be done.

When I feel an urge to harm myself with food, I recognize this. That's step one. Then, I see what wiggle room I have -- am I in a place at which I can refocus and redirect? If I am, I try to do that. If I am not, then I allow myself to go where I will go. Every binge is an opportunity for deeper understanding. Every time you redirect your pain somewhere is also an opportunity. Bring some compassion to the table. Change takes understanding, and understanding means you need to be brave enough to adventure inward.

Jenn
  • teemix1
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions, help and kind words. I am talking it out with my Drs and feeling better knowing I could not have changed things and it was not my fault that my parents favored my siblings. Dont get me wrong I really didnt grow up abused, I did a lot of things with my parents, camping, fishing, water skiing. So they did show me some love it was just not equal and my one passion was horses (and still is) and they never went to any horse shows/games that I was in. My mom supported me riding but just never watched, though the family had to go to all the events my brother and sister had. But I am trying my best to not let someones actions derail my eating so thanks again for all suggestions and comments.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    OP I apologize if my post was super insensitive. I thought about that today. In an attempt to share a personal story I kind of made a suggestion that could have been so far off base and maybe counter productive to your counseling work. We support you!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry this has happened to you. You should think of it as, at least I was adopted and not left without parents at all. Many never have a family. Don't let them have any hold on your eating or self worth. God loved you before you were ever born. Think positive things, do things to help others. Do positive things for yourself. Take walks, put healthy things in your house and body. I pray you are doing better after counseling. Tell yourself, you are worthy of love and carry on. You can do it.
  • teemix1
    Options
    No csplatt you were no out of line or anything, I didnt take it that way, I just wanted to explain myself a little better. sorry if you thought I was coming down on you. I appreciate what you said as it helps me look at things differently and being super sensitive to things and taking too much to heart I need to learn to just not read things into places that they are not meant to be, thanks for replying I appreciate your and everyone elses help so much.