Gaining weight ?

Options
I’ve been trying to lose weight from September I’m currently down 44lb and had been exercising a bit but with a broken foot ect it was on hold until recently when I started with a personal trainer 3 times a week I’ve also started walking everywhere and just pushing myself a little harder my calories are set at 1200 but I will go up to 1400 but only if I’m hungry (usually doesn’t put me over as I’ve usually earned from the Fitbit) the problem is that for 2 weeks I haven’t so much as lost half a lb and I’m working so hard I have noticed my thighs look more toned ect but any advice would be great

Current stats 275lb
5ft 4

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    adding or increasing exercise often leads to muscles retaining extra water to repair themselves. this will mask loss and at times appears as a "gain" on the scale but it is temporary. only water fluctuations

keep at it, ensure you eat enough of those exercise calories back. 200 may not be enough depending on what you are doing.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yeah it’s just frozen at my current weight 😂 so technically I could be losing fat but gaining muscle and that’s why The scales not moving ... I really wish I’d done body measurements. The thing with the Fitbit is sometimes it adds on a lot of calories as much as 1200 .. and suggests I’m burning over 3000 a day even on days I’m not very active
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    1400 calories is a little low for someone at 275lbs and walking everywhere.

Your weight loss stall is probably down to the new workouts with your personal trainer, it can mask loss for even a couple of weeks.

I am about 40lbs lighter than you and my TDEE without intentional exercise is around 2700 calories per day, so 3000 might not be too far from a reasonable estimate, if even though you're not exercising you're spending a lot of your day on your feet.

What activity level have you set yourself to?

• Panini911
    Options
    1200 sounds much too low for someone with your stats who is also exercising. which is not saying i am recommending going to 3000 by any means just that 1200 is too low.

What does MFP give you to eat as a baseline? how many steps do you take daily without the work out and what ativity level did you select? What sorta work outs and how long are you doing?

unlikely you are gaining much muscles in such a short time while also in a deficit. your body (muscles) is more likely retaining water temporarily to repair itself. two weeks is still within what i think is normal for muscles retaining water. it will all flush out eventually and you will likely see a big drop if you have been keeping to your calorie deficit.

two weeks with little movement is not at all unusual in the weight loss journey. weight loss is not linear all the time. our weight fluctuates daily and weekly especially as women.

• lilmissymoo90
    Options
    I’ve it set as sedentary because at the time I was lying on the sofa with the broken foot I didn’t change it as it’s set so the Fitbit adds on calories threw the day I just never know how much of it to eat back and I’m not usually hungry anyway on days I’m not with my personal trainer I usually hit about 8k steps which isn’t that much tbh
  • Panini911
    Options
    8k is more lightly active. and this is day to day movement outside purposeful exercise.

Up to 5K/steps/day=Sedentary
    5K-10K=Lightly Active
    10K-(around) 13K=Active
    ~13K+=Highly Active

or someone else posted:
    <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    I might try and eat more then :) thanks for that thou I would have thought on days I wasn’t training that I would be have basically been classed as inactive
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yeah it’s just frozen at my current weight 😂 so technically I could be losing fat but gaining muscle and that’s why The scales not moving ... I really wish I’d done body measurements. The thing with the Fitbit is sometimes it adds on a lot of calories as much as 1200 .. and suggests I’m burning over 3000 a day even on days I’m not very active

Probably not (not saying you aren't gaining a little bit), it's nearly impossible to lose fat and build muscle at a 1:1 ratio. You're probably seeing a couple things. Probably a little bit of "noob" muscle gain, but mainly water retention from the increased activity. Whenever I up my exercise routine, or change it up I can see upwards of a 7lb swing on the scale.

I also agree that 1200 sounds low, especially when exercising.
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    Your probably right it’s just driving me mad cause I’m down 44lb and that was barely moving and now I’m out training the scales haven’t moved even the tiniest bit either way I know my body’s changed thou as I can see small changes. I’ll try upping the calories :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your amazing loss! I often had 2 weeks with no loss or even an upward fluctuation. Stick with your plan and you will keep progressing. Remember that ladies retain water at different points in their monthly cycle too, causing a temporary stall or spike.
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    See I don’t even have a proper cycle cause I’m on the injection so that all stopped but today I weighed in before PT

And I dropped 3lb .. 😂
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I might try and eat more then :) thanks for that thou I would have thought on days I wasn’t training that I would be have basically been classed as inactive

Would definitely consider bumping yourself up to Lightly Active and try eating at least half your exercise calories for 4-6 weeks and see what your weight does.
  • lilmissymoo90
    Options
    Calories are now at 1450 a day minimum :)