How in the world do you keep your favorite treats in the house ?

Options

Replies

• JasJaworska
    JasJaworska Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just don't keep any in my house haha, but if I crave something I get it but it seems to work best for me that way :)
  • dasham1218
    dasham1218 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have his & her closets in my room and since I am single, "his" is semi empty so I stick all my treats in there (plus if I leave them out my daughter tends to think she can eat them all up so I have to hide them) and I rarely go in that closet and I sometimes think I want something sweet and then tell myself I don't have anything forgetting about my stash in the closet because half the time I'm standing in front of my pantry looking for something. lol I'll at times think, "oh, yeah, I got.......in the closet!" and go have nibble. Works for me because I forget about it since I don't use that closet. I recently found pudding cups stashed in a draw in one of my spare rooms that I forgot about. lol I'm not sure if it's memory loss or the out of sight, out of mind thing that's helping.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    My favorite treats are not things that are readily accessible. They are things that require time to bake etc which I am just not doing on any ol random weeknight. Or they are things that I have to get from a bakery or something. I keep oreos and chips and such in the house and I'm ok with that. I ate one oreo yesterday. Lol. If you can't control yourself maybe just keep them out of the house for a while until you think you can handle it. But I do have a hard time when I bake my favorite cake or make that super delicious strawberry jello pretzel cream cheese dessert thing, then I eat... way too much. Because there's a huge pan of it just screaming at me to eat it. So. Those things I only make on special occasions.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it... I don't. I keep my second-favorite treats in the house.

Same.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you can't moderate your intake, then it might be best to keep it out of the house. Otherwise depending on what it is you could hide it or freeze it. That may not work depending on how determined you are.

My absolute favourite treat isn't sold where I live (Canada), so that works for me :)

You know, I moved to the complete opposite corner of the country to get away from my mother but I never thought of moving to another country to escape Ben & Jerry.

I'm guessing Canada has B & J so that probably wouldn't work. My mother found me, too. :lol:

For the original post: I have to not buy the stuff. I've tried for years to "learn" to moderate and I am not able to. I just accept when I buy it that I'll eat all of it in one sitting.

Eating over your maintenance calories one day per week won't derail the whole process. I still buy cookies. I just eat them and then don't do it again for a week or so.

Haha yea they definitely have B&J's here. My fave treat is actually Cocoa Krispies. I can eat bowls and bowls. But... Even when I do obtain a few boxes, I become a hoarder and end up opening one then saving the rest until right before the best before haha.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you can't moderate your intake, then it might be best to keep it out of the house. Otherwise depending on what it is you could hide it or freeze it. That may not work depending on how determined you are.

My absolute favourite treat isn't sold where I live (Canada), so that works for me :)

You know, I moved to the complete opposite corner of the country to get away from my mother but I never thought of moving to another country to escape Ben & Jerry.

I'm guessing Canada has B & J so that probably wouldn't work. My mother found me, too. :lol:.

Canadian here. I have never had B & J. I can’t even say for certain if we have it here. From the sounds of it, it’s in my interest to NOT find out if we do!
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I eat a portion for example. 28 M&M's =100 calories. Really simple.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can vouch that Ben and Jerry’s is in Canada. Just less flavors than in USA as usual. It’s like $6 though
    rosiorama wrote: »

I'm guessing Canada has B & J so that probably wouldn't work. My mother found me, too. :lol:.

Canadian here. I have never had B & J. I can’t even say for certain if we have it here. From the sounds of it, it’s in my interest to NOT find out if we do!

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Then I won't tell you to check the frozen food cases at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Thankyou for keeping me in the dark! I shall not check out said dairy case!
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    I can vouch that Ben and Jerry’s is in Canada. Just less flavors than in USA as usual. It’s like $6 though

Sigh.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    dasham1218 wrote: »
    I have his & her closets in my room and since I am single, "his" is semi empty so I stick all my treats in there (plus if I leave them out my daughter tends to think she can eat them all up so I have to hide them) and I rarely go in that closet and I sometimes think I want something sweet and then tell myself I don't have anything forgetting about my stash in the closet because half the time I'm standing in front of my pantry looking for something. lol I'll at times think, "oh, yeah, I got.......in the closet!" and go have nibble. Works for me because I forget about it since I don't use that closet. I recently found pudding cups stashed in a draw in one of my spare rooms that I forgot about. lol I'm not sure if it's memory loss or the out of sight, out of mind thing that's helping.

I wish that worked for me! My mom does that and she'll be like "Oh I have some mini Snickers in this cabinet" but if I tried it I would lie awake thinking about all my stockpiled goodies lol
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have two kids and a husband who like treats. I quit cold turkey last year. I keep a substitue treat in the house that satisfies my craving (in this case chocolate) but is almost impossible to binge on (its unsweetened). I basically lost the flavor for sweets, and I'm good with that. But it has been years to get to this point and multiple rounds of varying lengths of cold turkey. i am hoping this time works.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

It's the only ice cream I will buy any more at the grocery. I'm trying really hard to not buy stuff with palm oil in it.

Cherry Garcia for the win. I think I even like the FroYo Cherry Garcia better than the ice cream version. And it's expensive in the U.S., too. Around $5 here in Seattle/almost Canada.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    I don't keep favourites treats/snacks in the house, I don't do moderation well at all. If I fancy something, I take it to work, I have some of it and share around.

• dasham1218
    dasham1218 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    dasham1218 wrote: »

I wish that worked for me! My mom does that and she'll be like "Oh I have some mini Snickers in this cabinet" but if I tried it I would lie awake thinking about all my stockpiled goodies lol

lol...you'd be surprised with yourself. Seriously, try it, but put it somewhere where you go but rarely go.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I just tried keeping my favorite in the house and having a little every day with the logic that I wouldn’t feel deprived if I got some each day. Well, it was a catastrophe. At first I practiced portion control but then i came back and started picking at it until I full blown just demolished it. I’m now at maintenance for the day... not a good day. Now I’m tempted to just go eat more. Tl;dr: Maybe I need to give up my favorite dessert.

I found it was easier to stick to portion control when I was getting enough protein. If I'm not, I forage like crazy. I don't know if that's something that you've looked at, but maybe if there's a particular macro that helps keep you satiated long periods of time it might help you stick to portion control with your faves. If that's something you still want to try.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think I am too
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I don't. Can't eat what's not there. lol

If I do have something in the house, I let my husband hide them. Luckily for me we like different kind of treats so I'm not tempted at all to eat his things.

Normally I will fit in my higher calorie treats over the weekend. I'm definitely an all or nothing kinda girl.