Vitamin supplement for skin and hair

Options
Hey All,

Lately, I have been noticing severe hair loss and degrading quality of my skin(including horrible acne scars) :(

I was suggested to start taking a multivitamin by a friend of mine and I started reading on internet and I AM OFFICIALLY GOING CRAZY !

Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Boitin, Iron....The list is ENDLESS !

Can you please suggest me something that is known to a good vitamin supplement for improved health of skin and hair ????? A supplement that can provide me all these in the quantities required. It will be great help !!!

Cheers,
SKB

Replies

• tgumeebee
    tgumeebee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I take prenatal vitamins....they work well for me
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking some fish oil. Whenever I take it, my skin feels great - I give it to my dog too whenever he gets some skin issues and it clears them up quickly. I give the dog 2 capsules 2x a day, and myself I'll take 3 capsules 2x a day. I am guessing you could back off on it once your skin clears up.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I take a regular multi vitamin, fish oil and calcium daily usually. Haven't had any problems and have actually seen some good changes.

Good luck in finding what will work for you.
  • Determined24
    Determined24 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There is just a hair nail vitamin you can take that will help. I hear fish oil is really good for the skin to. Make sure you get plenty of water.
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Agreed! Probably the best thing you can take for hair and nails.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    "biotin is a water soluble B vitamin which assist in energy metabolism in cells. Biotin helps to support healthy skin and hair." taken off my bottle of biotin. Also good for your finger nails.
  • simply_healthy
    simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    "biotin is a water soluble B vitamin which assist in energy metabolism in cells. Biotin helps to support healthy skin and hair." taken off my bottle of biotin. Also good for your finger nails.

Other than Biotin.. Do I need to take other vitamin supplements as well ?
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Multi and fish oil and protien.

After my mom had weight loss surgery the docs wanted her to load up on protien because the surgery can make you deficient. She not like the drinks they recommended and her hair fell out fast and fierce.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Heya! I have hair, skin, and nail issues with my thyroid issues.

I take One a Day Women's plus healthy skin support and 400mcg of Folic Acid a day. It has helped immensely. Pre-natal vitamins also work wonders, but they make me slightly ill (the whole nausea/headache thing, even if I take them with food). Gonna be fun when the hubby and I decide to have children. >.>
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    They make bottles of ' hair, skin, and nails'. Gnc sells it, but there are generics everywhere. That said, try evaluating if you are getting enough protein and fat (crucial for hair growth) in your diet.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

I take One a Day Women's plus healthy skin support and 400mcg of Folic Acid a day. It has helped immensely. Pre-natal vitamins also work wonders, but they make me slightly ill (the whole nausea/headache thing, even if I take them with food). Gonna be fun when the hubby and I decide to have children. >.>

I saw the new One a Day Women's plus healthy skin... and asked my pharmacist about it. He said the only thing in there that I really needed was the biotin. He said there really wasn't much difference between multivitamins that focus on different things, just one or two ingredients.

I know of someone who was taking prenatal vitamins when they weren't pregnant and got seriously ill. They are good if you're pregnant... but if you're having nausea/headache problems I would ask my pharmacist about that.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Vitamin E is very good for your hair. That's the only reason I take it. :blushing:
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I saw the new One a Day Women's plus healthy skin... and asked my pharmacist about it. He said the only thing in there that I really needed was the biotin. He said there really wasn't much difference between multivitamins that focus on different things, just one or two ingredients.

I know of someone who was taking prenatal vitamins when they weren't pregnant and got seriously ill. They are good if you're pregnant... but if you're having nausea/headache problems I would ask my pharmacist about that.

Yeah, basically the One a Day Women's Plus Healthy Skin doesn't make me ill, so I take that one. I talked with my doctor about it, and apparently some people just don't do well with vitamins. The effects are lessened if I take them at night at bedtime with a small snack, so I'll probably just suck it up and do that (after talking with the doctor). Won't be TTC for a little longer, but...soon. =)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Here is a combination supplement. I've not tried it, but it seems to contain everything you need - vit E, biotin etc:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=247&prodid=327&sid=0

Good luck hun :flowerforyou:
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to take prenatal vitamins for the same reason. I can't find any at Walmart. What is the brand name of yours?