Invisalign and weight loss

Options
endermako
endermako Posts: 787 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I wasn't able to find a good thread for this by searching. But has anyone lost weight from invisalign? I'm getting them put on in 3 weeks and I only have 6 pounds to go before maintenance. I really don't want to lose too much, but I'm just not sure if I can get enough calories in 3 meals without feeling stuffed. I usually do 5 meals, but i cannot keep that up because i'll have to brush my teeth 5 times a day. Any tips?

Stats:
5'4
146lbs
1505 calories per day, usually. TDEE is around 1900-2100

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    What are you normally eating in your 5 meals? I personally don't understand why you can't brush your teeth 5 times a day, but I'll take your word for it. 500 calories per meal really isn't a lot, especially if you choose more calorie dense foods. Seeing an example of what you eat now would help.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to have to brush your teeth 5 times a day, maybe slowly adjust your eating schedule during the 3 weeks leading up. So, go from 5 meals at 300 cals each, to 4 meals at 375 each. Then slowly lower one of those while increasing the others until you get to 3 meals at 500 each.

Example:
    Week 1 - 4 meals @ 375
    Week 2 - 3 meals at 400, 1 meal at 300
    Week 3 - 3 meals at 450, 1 meal at 150
    Week 4 - 3 meals at 500
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Invisalign but did have to wear a large retainer 24/7 except for eating for about 2 years. I did not lose weight because I just adjusted my eating. My hunger outweighs my desire to not brush my teeth several times a day.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I wasn't able to find a good thread for this by searching. But has anyone lost weight from invisalign? I'm getting them put on in 3 weeks and I only have 6 pounds to go before maintenance. I really don't want to lose too much, but I'm just not sure if I can get enough calories in 3 meals without feeling stuffed. I usually do 5 meals, but i cannot keep that up because i'll have to brush my teeth 5 times a day. Any tips?

Stats:
    5'4
    146lbs

I am a firm believer in not worrying about things in advance. If you want to have a plan in case a problem presents itself just lean more heavily on calorie dense food. You can eat half your TDEE in a single small meal if you pick the right food.

ETA: Someone will probably post the list of calorie dense foods. I keep forgetting to bookmark it.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I imagine that Invisalign is just like braces when it comes to having to brush your teeth after eating. My orthodontist told me just rinse with mouthwash if I can't brush after snacks or lunch. Do that. Just use mouthwash after 2 of your meal and brush after 3 of your meals. The goal is to get rid of the food debris in between and the surface your teeth which would be breeding ground for bacteria, especially with Invisalign. To be safe though, talk to your Dentist and/or the Invisalign people.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Stats:
    5'4
    146lbs

I don't have personal experience with Invisalign, so I googled, and apparently people losing weight after getting Invisalign is a thing. The idea is that you can take them out to eat, but you're supposed to wear them for something like 20-22 hours a day. The weight loss seems to be from cutting back on snacking to keep with the guideline.

I think if you focus on making your regular meals a little more calorie dense, you'd be ok. Full fat dairy, things like that. But if you don't spend 2 hours a day eating, you should be able to add in snacks easily, but that still leaves you with the teeth brushing issue.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    My 15 year old was given a list of foods he couldn't eat due to potential damage to wire braces, most of which are his favorite not so healthy foods. If he does lose weight (he needs to, already lost a few) it would be due to elimination of these things. He was already instructed on brushing and hygiene.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to have to brush your teeth 5 times a day, maybe slowly adjust your eating schedule during the 3 weeks leading up. So, go from 5 meals at 300 cals each, to 4 meals at 375 each. Then slowly lower one of those while increasing the others until you get to 3 meals at 500 each.

Example:
    Week 1 - 4 meals @ 375
    Week 2 - 3 meals at 400, 1 meal at 300
    Week 3 - 3 meals at 450, 1 meal at 150
    Week 4 - 3 meals at 500

This is a great idea. Thank you. I'm glad i asked a few weeks ahead of time so i can adjust.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I did Invisalyn. It's common to lose 10 lbs but it doesn't last after you're done.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I had a clear retainer after my braces. Back then they didn't recommend you brush your teeth after eating before putting back in. It did cut down on snacking, but then it broke. I asked for a plastic/wire one after that.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The way I did it, was I drank a protein smoothie with the trays in, when I woke up/right before exercise. I exercised, showered, then got to work, had coffee, my string cheese, banana and my yogurt. I took my trays out for lunch, ate lunch, then brushed - my first time of the day.

You don't want to brush more than twice a day, you can wear out your enamel.
  • jenniferanderson3888
    jenniferanderson3888 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My husband lost about 35 pounds having those
  • ilbcnuz
    ilbcnuz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I first got Invisalign, I was an avid brusher and flosser. Now that I’ve had them a year, I’ve relaxed a lot. I brush/floss after breakfast. After a snack or lunch at work, I usually just rinse well with water or mouthwash. After dinner, I brush/floss again. I have had no cavities so far and my aligners have remained clear and unstained. I lost a few pounds at the beginning, but have found that didn’t last as I got used to them.