Keto

Options
2»

Replies

• Love2laugh55
    Love2laugh55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You all have been so helpful! Thank you:)
  • sharon1605
    sharon1605 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In MFP it only lets you set a carb goal not net carb, or is net carb what MFP tracks?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    MFP just tracks what you log. So the issue is the entries. Some are total carbs (include fiber). This is the case for anything from a US package or the good US whole food entries (USDA entries). It's important to be careful about what entries you use, as some are just wrong.

In addition to US package entries, Canadian package entries, and USDA entries, there are also entries from European and Australian sources, among others, and from their packages, and also that people created to be net carb. None of those will be total carb, they will be net carb.

If you are getting your information from the US entries and are careful in choosing them, you can assume they are NOT net carb. Other entries might already be net carb. People outside the US/Canada should not just subtract fiber and think it's correct.

All that aside, your profile says you are in the US, so if you pick good entries and check information, they are going to be total carb. Easiest thing to do -- and also informative -- is to track fiber too and subtract it. I promise it's a simple exercise that can easily be done in your head.
  • Love2laugh55
    Options
    I'm getting mct oil. I see a lot of ppl use it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I'm getting mct oil. I see a lot of ppl use it.

There is absolutely no need for MCT oil. Just make sure that you are eating fats from real foods (butter, coconut oil, etc) and you will be ok.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've only been on the keto diet for 3 days and I've lost 3 pounds. I don't care if it is water weight or not!!! I could hardly finish my wonderful salad with all sorts of stuff in and full fat dressing, chicken leg and thigh, olives, seeds, cheese, 1/2 avacado and cheese. Its not just eating 20 carbs or less. It is a ratio of units. Go to tasteaholics.com As you look through their site you will see how to do this. It is easy so don't freak out!!! You just put in you height, weight, gender, age and your body fat. It has a box to check that says "I have no idea". Check that and it will show you pictures, and you choose the one that most fits you and that is it. You can add your email and they will email what amounts of fat, protein, and carbs. You can read it on the screen or print it. I wanted it in an email so I could find it again!! Sorry to say that my body fat was 45%. I've been eating 100 carbs per day. I may not stay on this diet forever, but this is good for me because I usually eat everything I want on the keto diet and tons of bread, potatoes, sweets, and sweets, bread, and potatoes!!! Hope this is helpful... Good luck on your journey..

Congrats on getting started and your 3 lb. loss!

FYI - Eating 100 grams of carbs a day is a low carb diet. Keto requires you to eat 20 grams of carbs a day or less. Some people count net carbs, which means not counting any fiber carbs.

• laceygdwn
    laceygdwn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been on keto for about 2 weeks now and I lost 9 but gained 2 back. I took pictures to compare to my before pictures and I could see that I had lost inches. I've decided to stay off the scale except for a once weekly weigh in. I also measured last night so I can do that once a week. I'm sure when coming off of sugars and carbs, the withdraws make our bodies fluctuate more and if we are introducing foods it's never seen before or had very little of, there might be a reaction taking place there as well that we have to get past... Once we are adjusted, it will even out. 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, and it's ok not to lose some weeks. Just keep on going. :)
  • drdales
    drdales Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Make sure if you are new to Keto to take electrolytes and magnesium. This will help ease the Keto flu. Are you getting in all your fats? You can also fast for a day to kick ketosis in harder? Are you tracking your keto state with urine strips or a meter? Start with strips. They are about $11 at CVS. Walking is also the best fat burner. Food for thought...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    drdales wrote: »
    Make sure if you are new to Keto to take electrolytes and magnesium. This will help ease the Keto flu. Are you getting in all your fats? You can also fast for a day to kick ketosis in harder? Are you tracking your keto state with urine strips or a meter? Start with strips. They are about $11 at CVS. Walking is also the best fat burner. Food for thought...

fat burning happens in a deficit. so walking is a good calorie burner but if you are eating more than you burn walking will do nothing for fat loss
  • Love2laugh55
    Options
    My a1c has dropped since keto!!! Happy I tried this!!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Way to go!