How accurate is the Fitbit?

Options
This is my record for the last 3 days. Monday I did nothing, Tuesday I went out and worked with my horse and did some walking, Wednesday(today) I just walked on campus. My fit bit shows big jumps in my calories burned. Do you think it’s accurate? Keep in mind that I am very overweight so I do burn more calories than a regular person. But I always wonder if I burn this much ya know?

I have a Fitbit ionic. It does monitor my heartbeat constantly as well as my steps and the distance I travel when walking. It also has my exact height and weight.

Replies

• froggerman2
    froggerman2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think that it is doing a good job based on what you said you were doing. Nothing is 100% and if you swing your arm that has the Fitbit on it it will think you are walking. It is only a tool for you to see how much you move and moving is great. Keep moving and you will do great. Good job, keep up the good work.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It will vary. For me, Fitbit with HRMs are accurate enough. If I truly logged everything that passed my lips, it would actually be underestimating a bit. (Without the HRM it really underestimates my burn). This isn’t the case for everyone. However over time you should be able to tell (4-6 weeks). On the Fitbit website, your profile page will show you a 30 day avg burn. You can compare that to your 30 day avg intake (total not NET intake)to see if you lost as expected or not.

For comparison unless I am really sedentary I burn between 2200-2500 calories a day.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Mine falls in line with several estimates from various TDEE calculators, in the range of 2100 to 2500 calories per day. My annual daily average is about 2200. Knowing that gives me a better idea of how much to cut for a more effective yet reasonable deficit, and how many exercise calories to eat back.
  • soliver1999
    soliver1999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks y’all! I’ve been wearing it for about 2-3 months now. I’m sure it’s close to accurate I just had no idea my body actually burned that much