BMR- Basal Metabolic Rate

Options
I kow everyone's doing differnt diets and have different bodies and either male or female blah blah blah blah blah. I'm just putting out there what has helped me lose weight BEFORE and will help me lose it again.

Anyways, I've been reading this book a guide to weightloss by this K.I.S.S.series- A great HEALTHY way to lose weight. It shows you even calculations that can help you get to your goal mathematically lol which is fun and breaks it down for you. Now, I'm NO health guru but I lost over 80lbs on this before.

The rate at which energy is expended is called the basal metabolic rate. It consumes 10 calories of every l of a woman's body and 11 cal / lb for men.
For example,if a woman weighs 140lbs. it would take her 1400 expended calories just to run bodily functions- without moving an inch. For men, they would burn 1540 at the same weight, which may explain how men can lose weight quicker ( also men have less fat because they weren't meant to carry babies lol ).
So if this same 40 lb woman at less calories, say, 1200 she'd lose weight, 1800 calories she'd gain- Either way that's really boring.
Your BMR is your weight times 10 for women and for men multiply by 11. That means, the heavier you are, the more calories you will burn. That is also why people who are heavier tend to lose weight quicker- ring a bell while watching Biggest Loser? Anyways, if you eat less calories about 1500 but no less than 1200, and you add a little activity, say about 1/2 hour slow-med pace walk a day, you'll still lose about 1lb/ week. BUT the more active you are the more your caloric intake should be- which is why your calorie counter goes up when you exercise on MFP!
Muscle cells are 8x more metabolically active than fat cells, which is why more muscular people need more calories to run their body.
There are 3 things that decrease your BMR:
1.) age, on average dropping 2% / decade
2.) inactivity or lack of muscle use
3.) DIETING

Your daily intake of food is defined as your diet, so don't take this too literally. If you're eating healthy and exercising it is likely your seeing changes gradually. But if you're eating less like say when you've worked out and you have extra calories to use on your MFP tracker, your body interprets that reduced caloric intake as a sign of famine. So, it slows down your BMR to decrease energy needs. THIS IS THE SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION FOR WEIGHTLOSS PLAUTEAUS!

Thanks for reading, this is only to help me and you make healthy decisions on our lifechanging experiences! I'll be posting more info as I read because I want to share my knowledge- knowledge is POWER. Let's HELP eachother- NOT CRITICIZE! So, Please don't comment if you don't have anything nice to say. :smile:

Replies

• idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My friend did this drastic diet with protein shake for dinner and barely any food...she lost 22 pounds in 15 days. And no exercise at all. I tried talking and reasoning with her about starvation mode and the consequences of drastic weight loss...she refused to listen. Diet was over 2 weeks ago and gradually she started eating normal...and yesterday she was telling me "I got fat again, I gained weight again". I kept quiet, I had so many "i told you so"s in my mind!!!! Frustrated me! I explained to her how it works, doesn't listen and then she wonders why she gained weight?????
  • Nhendrickson86
    Nhendrickson86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great info!
  • Shiloh101
    Shiloh101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • alouks
    alouks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good information! Thanks!