New to running

Options
Good Morning!
I began training to run a 5k and I am using the Couch to 5K app. I am also in the process of losing weight and have been losing steadily. Does it make sense to lift weights on my off days? I am a little concerned with lose skin and had been doing some strength training prior to starting to run.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if your body feels up to it, then yes, go for it :)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    You can totally lift on your off days -- that's precisely what I do, and both my running and lifting performance are just fine. Find a program that you like, and work through that on your non-running days. (I like New Rules of Lifting for Women, but you may find another one that you like.)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You can cross train on off days if it’s appropriate for your body. If you notice that you have low energy or if your workouts get unexpectedly harder, take more rest. I recommend at least one full rest day per week for newbies.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You can totally lift on your off days -- that's precisely what I do, and both my running and lifting performance are just fine. Find a program that you like, and work through that on your non-running days. (I like New Rules of Lifting for Women, but you may find another one that you like.)

Thank you for referral... I was just kind of going in there and jumping around on the machines not really knowing what to do. :)
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes! Another option is to lift on some of your running days if you have the time and energy, then have your off days be total rest days.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I did Couch to 5K (which I loved!). Then I asked the trainer at the gym to show me some free weight exercises and proper form on the machines. Try it for 6 weeks, and see whether you like it. Definitely doing this on your non-running days is the way to go.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    On a side note I didn't do much yesterday for exercise because of the storm... and now today I HURT. Going to try and get my run in tonight anyway but it will be interesting.