Net or total calories

Is it net or total calories you go by

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Net if you use MFP as designed
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Net ... although I tend to stay a bit under to account for logging errors... particular over-stated exercise calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Yakker04 wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Net, as you were told several times in the last thread you started.

That's because I get alot of different answers it seems alot of people are guessing

But isn't another thread going to get the same people with the same different answers?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    If you don't believe us, how about this:

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

• cmriverside

That's because I get alot of different answers it seems alot of people are guessing

People who are using this site the way it is intended to be used (like stated above in that Help Article) use Net Calories. That includes exercise calories. Some people are using a different system based on their TDEE.

Here, from the Sticky "Most Helpful Posts"

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67USKg3w_E4
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

If you're using MFP as designed it is net...a lot of people are ignorant as to how MFP works because they don't read the stickies or anything. Also, another clue would be the word GOAL.
  • cmriverside
    edited April 2019

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

I've been told by 2 nutritionist not to count the calories the app gives me for excercise as it's inaccurate one of those nutritionist I lost 47 kg doing his program and there are people on here saying same thing. Yet there are people on here saying opposite so who to believe. I think the nutritionist knows what he's talking about as my weight loss is proof of that. I get confused when I get different answers

WATCH that three minute video and he explains.

...and actually READ that Help link...
  • cwolfman13

I've been told by 2 nutritionist not to count the calories the app gives me for excercise as it's inaccurate one of those nutritionist I lost 47 kg doing his program and there are people on here saying same thing. Yet there are people on here saying opposite so who to believe. I think the nutritionist knows what he's talking about as my weight loss is proof of that. I get confused when I get different answers

As you've been told before, there are more accurate ways to determine your energy expenditure than just relying on the database.

Look at it this way...I get a calorie goal of 2000 calories to lose 1 Lb per week if I'm using MFP. This Saturday I will be going on a 30+ mile group ride. I know from experience that I will burn around 1,000 calories on that ride. If I didn't account for that, my net intake would only be 1,000 calories...which would basically be equivalent to me only eating 1,000 calories and no grown male has any business doing that.

Does your nutritionist understand how MFP works. Does you nutritionist understand that MFP isn't a TDEE calculator?
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    MFP has an option that lets you not show your exercise calories in your food goal, so I think it is also designed for people to use it that way. If you do not eat back your exercise calories, you might lose weight at a faster pace than if you do, but you might also feel tired or under-nourished. I also have received medical advice to not eat back the exercise calories, but honestly I just go by how I feel. If my body tells me I need them, I eat them. Most days I feel perfectly fine not eating them back, but that doesn't mean i'm right. I don't think you are ever going to get a 100% consensus from the world which way you should go. You've stated you trust your nutritionist, and you've lost weight successfully, so it sounds like you just need to keep learning what works for you and making sure you remain healthy.
  • cmriverside
    Well, you're not going to get exact numbers for exercise - and for some people they ARE accurate. For some they aren't.

If you are sold on your Nutritionist, do it his way. ::shrug:: If it stops working, re-evaluate. If you're just doing moderate exercise a few times per week it doesn't really matter that much, just a couple hundred calories anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

As you've been told before, there are more accurate ways to determine your energy expenditure than just relying on the database.

Look at it this way...I get a calorie goal of 2000 calories to lose 1 Lb per week if I'm using MFP. This Saturday I will be going on a 30+ mile group ride. I know from experience that I will burn around 1,000 calories on that ride. If I didn't account for that, my net intake would only be 1,000 calories...which would basically be equivalent to me only eating 1,000 calories and no grown male has any business doing that.

Does your nutritionist understand how MFP works. Does you nutritionist understand that MFP isn't a TDEE calculator?

Of course he does he told me to use mfp after I had finished his program as it's the best one but the extra calories are inaccurate

So none is more accurate?

I've never relied on the MFP database for my calorie burns from exercise...like I said, there are more accurate ways of determining this. What kind of exercise are you doing? The longer duration or more intense your exercise is, the more important it is to fuel that activity...failure to do so limits fitness gains and impedes recovery and increases the risk of injury. Fitness is something that requires fuel...it makes zero sense not to fuel your fitness.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited April 2019
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Stop asking for help if you're not going to listen to people who've been here forever and successfully used this tool. I lost 40 Lbs using MFP as designed..I've maintained that for 6 years...but yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to MFP.

I lost 103 pounds 7 months ago which I've maintained without this app. I came on here after getting advice to use it but like I said I'm getting conflicting answers

In order to maintain your weight: If you're using MFP's calorie numbers then you would have to eat exercise calories. Otherwise, you're always going to be in a deficit and losing. Exercise calculators are estimates, they're off for some, right for others. Zero would definitely be wrong though. You can only go off your real life data and adjust as needed.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Like I said last time, I tend to eat back around 50% of exercise calories in case it's over estimating. But if I'm really hungry I eat the rest. Some days I'm less hungry, some days I'm over. The average evens out and I've maintained since October.

Experiment and use the scale to determine what ratio is right for you. And perhaps stop making several threads with the same question if you don't like the answers.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    I eat back all my exercise calories. I've been maintaining within 5 pounds for several years. My net calories are 1600, my actual are usually above 2200. MFP does work.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I lost 103 pounds 7 months ago which I've maintained without this app. I came on here after getting advice to use it but like I said I'm getting conflicting answers

Congrats.

I won't try to help because I don't want to add to the answers that seem to be causing you trouble.

Good luck.