sarahlee19 Posts: 21 Member
Does it matter if u go over on carbs and protein I'm confused

Thank you

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Macros (your protein, carbs and fat) are more there for optimal gain/loss and also satiety. Ultimately, your total calories in and out will determine whether you lose or gain weight. In short, if you go a little over or under on carbs on any given day, it's not such a big deal. You should try and get the recommended amount of protein which is 0.8-1g of protein per kg of body weight but again, a little over isn't the end of the world.

Also, daily variances won't matter as much, as in, you can go over your total calories by say 50 on one day and be under by 50 the next day. As long as you hit (or get as close to) your weekly calorie goal you should see weight loss/gain (depending on if you're aiming for a surplus or deficit).

What is your current macro split?
  • sarahlee19
    sarahlee19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    calories are king for weight loss. the macros are for feeling full/general health. and yes you can look at them over a few days not just daily .

I don't care about the carb row. I ensure i get more than minimum protein most days and hit my fat (I tend to eat low fat so for me it's something to keep an eye on). that is the extent i watch the macros.

what macros keep you full is individual. sufficient protein is important but some need more protein, others more carbs and yet others more fat to stay full.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    worrying about it is not the way to weight loss. Sustained weight loss takes time and patience. Just try to stick to your caloric goal and make sure you get enough protein.

Protein is king when it comes to weight loss because the idea is to exercise using weights/resistance (and aerobic if you so chose). Building or toning muscle is key because muscle is 3 times more metabolically active so it burns more calories.

Staying fit and eating healthy are lifestyle changes that you want to continue beyond your target weight. Just remember that. Many people tend to just stop eating healthy and exercise less when they reach the target weight. This is the reason why so many diets fail. Weight loss is habit change, not just a diet.