How do poor people exercise?

Options

Replies

• jwhitnah
    Options
    Call me crazy but I have found some amazing deals on execrise equipment, weights, videos, etc at garage sales. When people are tired of this equipment collecting dust they will just about pay you to take if off their property.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    By running from bill collectors. :laugh:
  • 58twister
    Options
    I tried this when I was in Germany and it worked really well find a building that has 3 or 4 flights of stairs and climb them every day do it 2 or 3 times daily and as it gets easier do it faster or climb them more often...It cost you the gas to get there and back, that's it...good luck and don't give up. I was told you didn't gain the weight over night so you can't expect to lose it over night. :)
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you're in Boulder CO, there is a Wieder CrossBox - Boxflex knock-off you can have if you make it not be on my patio before the snow comes...
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My gym had subsidized funding which is ether only way I can afford it
  • char2009
    char2009 Posts: 68
    Options
    check out bodyrock.tv!! :D
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos, walking, etc. I am lucky because there is a gym where I work that I can use for free. Pays to work for the military!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    How do poor people exercise?
    By working so they're not so poor! :bigsmile:

Ever hear of the "working poor"? We're not a myth.
    No, we're not. For most of my working life I've had to take on additional work to pay the bills; some of it used to keep me fit too.

Presumably if the OP was doing manual labour for a living she wouldn't need further exercise in the evenings.
    Presumably she has a job, since she says she can't afford gym membership, yet she can still afford to get online.
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i HIT A YARD SALE AND GOT A STEP BENCH AND THEN I STARTED DOING MY OLD STEP TAPES. I STILL HAVE A VCR BUT IF YOU DON'T YOU CAN GET THEM DIRT CHEAP NOW. 38 MINUTES OF STEP BURNS OVER 600 CALORIES.
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!!!:laugh:
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    a lot of good ideas from everyone ,what about turning on the radio for music you like and dance till you are exhausted that should be a good form of excercise and is as free as walking or jogging and if the weathers bad you are in your own home so your not affected
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what got me over a plateau and that is not eating anything made with flour. Even though I was exercising I wss at a standstill at 20 lbs lost. I decided to try something and it worked. No more sandwich thins or low cal bread and nothing made with any kind of flour. For breakfast I eat plain no fat Greek yogurt with fresh fruit added in and a little agave syrup. I eat mainly fresh fruit and veggies, chicken, fish, eggs, beans occassionally, brown rice, wheat berries in moderation and nothing processed. Try it for a wek and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I tried this when I was in Germany and it worked really well find a building that has 3 or 4 flights of stairs and climb them every day do it 2 or 3 times daily and as it gets easier do it faster or climb them more often...It cost you the gas to get there and back, that's it...good luck and don't give up. I was told you didn't gain the weight over night so you can't expect to lose it over night. :)
    I thought of this one after posting earlier.

I had a class last semester that is on the 9th floor. A few weeks in, I gave myself the challenge to be able to walk all 8 flights of stairs without stopping and without walking into class huffing and puffing. (Since I'm in my mid-40s and most of the kids in my class are, well... kids I didn't want to look like the old lady. Of course, all of them took the elevator!) I managed to meet that challenge the last week of class! The first few times I had to either ditch out and take the elevator the rest of the way or take a few minutes to get my breath back when I finally reached the top, but I finally did it. It's a great workout!
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Youtube exercises. walk. invest on a 10-15 dollar dvd
  • tabbycat2223
    Options
    Wii Fit Plus or Wii Fit, either one. . . It's kinda expensive at first, but I tell you it's sooooo worth it!! You can find them cheaper on Craigslist or Ebay, but it's really helped me, I can't afford a gym membership anymore and the YMCA in my area is a joke and with working full time and 4 kids, going to the gym is really not an option for me anyway :)

Good luck :)
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    jump rope best cardio out
    put on a music cd and dance straight though the cd
    squats do 20 everytime you go to the potty
    arm press do in kitchen while preparing meals

arm press! fantastic! thanks for that tip!
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    We carry huge loot sacks from the rich
  • HeidiYogi
    HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How about trying to pick up a desk or cleaning shift at the gym you go to or maybe a yoga studio that will help switch things up for you? I've been doing that at my Bikram Yoga studio the last 2 years and get FREE YOGA all I want. Last year I went every day for 100 days in a row and never had to pay - it's an awesome alternative and are out there you just have to ask!! :) Good luck and don't give up!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    There are quite a lot of bodyweight resistance exercises that require ZERO dollars invested, and many more that need only the tiniest of investments. Push-ups, planks, crunches, bodyweight squats, lunges, burpees, mountain climbers, can all be performed with nothing more than your body and a floor. cobbling together a step for step aerobics, a jump rope, a homemade medicine ball or lifting bag (sandbag), hula hooping, and a door jamb mounted pull-up bar are all examples of exercises that require investments of around 20 bucks tops to achieve with a little ingenuity.

And most YMCA's have scholarship programs for those who cannot afford membership. These scholarships are rarely taken advantage of, and often can be gotten quite easily with nothing more than a little time to fill out an application required.