Cheap, Filling, Low Calorie Foods

Options
Does anyone know any decent, cheap, low calorie meals that are filling and help you feel fed longer throughout the day? Preferably without TOO much preparation, but I'm open to just about anything.

Replies

• Comms0p
    Comms0p Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bananas, plain rice cakes and peanut butter
    Plain yogurt, Oatmeal, frozen blueberries (overnight oats) or just as a snack; plain yogurt with fruit
    Eggs, spinach, hot sauce and some whole wheat bread
    Tuna, celery, light miracle whip, mustard in romaine lettuce - sandwiches
    Sweet potatoes, olive oil and some seasonings with protein (lean meats)
  • oatzilla
    oatzilla Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ready Pac - Spinach Dijon Salad bistro bowl. It's cheap, filling, surprisingly tasty, rich on protein, and no prep. Even comes with a plastic fork.
  • _Fluff
    _Fluff Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had millet? It's like 75 cents a pound in the bulk section of my grocery store and cooks up in less than 20 minutes. It's a grain that tastes like a firm, nutty couscous. I mix a cup of millet with a half cup of canned beans to make a complete protein. My preference is for flavored beans or beans that come in a sauce, like bacon and onion or spicy red beans, but if you're worried about added sugar/sodium, plain beans with black pepper and cumin are delicious, too. For about a dollar, and 250 calories, it keeps me full for at least four hours.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    When I hear "cheap and filling" the first thing that always comes to my mind is rice and beans, bought in bulk.

I've been eating various types of rice and beans all winter for breakfast, plus a fried egg. I make a big batch on the weekend and freeze anything over 5 servings, and eat those 5 servings over the work week.

I started with Cuban rice and beans, started adding Berbere spice, and now I'm having rice and lentils (Lebanese mujadara) with Berbere spice, which is Ethiopian, but you don't need to get carried away like that - playing with spices and different cuisines is my thing ;)

However, using different spices is indeed one way to not get bored with eating the same staples over and over. I learned this when I was cooking for a small yoga retreat center in Costa Rico, when the staples were rice, black beans, lentils, and pasta, with an emphasis on using the rice and black beans as they were the cheapest, being delivered in 50 pound bags by farmers on horseback.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am a volume eater (meaning, I like lots of food and for eating to take time even if I tend to eat fast). My eyes are bigger than my stomach, something I am working on.

I cut up low cal vegetables to bulk up all meals. carrots, cuccumber, celeri. i make a low cal broccoli slaw (using the prepackged stuff). I add that to low calorie protein (eggs, chicken breast, veggy pattie with good stats). canned tuna. soup. quinoa salad.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I buy a frozen vegetable mix and make all kinds of soups. I add barley, potato, canned corn, beans, --whatever I've got around, and cook it up into a delicious hearty soup. The sky's the limit on what you can add to your, or your family's tastes.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, rice, and beans. For the amount of satiety you get, the calories are low imo.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    I cut up low cal vegetables to bulk up all meals.

This. I add a ton of veggies or fruit to every meal. To my pasta I add 2 cups spinach and 150 grams chopped mushrooms and half a can of chopped tomatoes. My baked potato gets a giant handful of arugula and about 80 grams of tomatoes. Yogurt or cereal gets at least 80 grams of bananas or blueberries. I think this can be done with just about any meal and it's pretty cheap too.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    If protein fills you up, cheaper protein options include canned tuna and chicken thighs (can be much cheaper than chicken breasts and taste better IMO).

Personally, I think rice is very unsatisfying for the amount of calories, but it is definitely a good financial choice if you’re looking to get as much food as possible for your buck.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are my friends.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Carbs: Rice - cream of rice (very convenient), oatmeal, potatoes (some prep, convenient if you cook in batches), bulk frozen vegetables (waaay cheaper than pre-prepped, pre-cut stuff)

Protein: greek yogurt (kilo/quart sized, on sale, generic store brand ~4-5$), cottage cheese, ground lean chicken (not bad if you need to spare fat consumption, ~5$/lb < chicken breast), canned tuna, egg white cartons

Fats: PB, Bulk EVOO (can be found pretty inexpensive bulk), whole eggs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I buy cauliflower raw, then just eat almost a head of it with small dips of Marzetti Dill dip.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I think of this as cost per meal. What is my cost for a meal that fits into the calorie plan?

In the $2.50-$5.00 range, I have Rotisserie chicken (I get three meals minimum from a $5 rotisserie chicken) from Kroger, baked potato and fresh green vege like green beans.

In the $5.00-10.00 range I have fresh trout or salmon filet, fettuccine noodle and better green like asparagus or beets. Alternately ground chuck sauteed with onions mushrooms and oyster sauce.

Lunch is easy. $1.79 can of Progresso Hearty chicken noodle soup (19 oz, 2.5 servings, 230 calories) and an apple. Sometimes I add left over rotisserie chicken to the soup and always Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base to the broth.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i make a killer sweet potato and barley pilaf - it costs me maybe $7 (including the cheese that I sprinkle on top) and feeds me for a week+ (I typically freeze half of it)
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I eat a big garden salad every day. The basic 8 - 10 cup lettuce, tomato, and cucumber salad is 100 to 150 calories. I use olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Good Seasons dry seasoning packet for dressing for another 130 calories from the oil (good fat). I prefer iceberg lettuce because it's crisp, sweet and juicy. Any green, leafy vegetable will do. If I need some fat or protein I add chicken, tuna, cheese, or avocado. Depending what I add, the calories can run up to 500 to 700. I can eat it all at once and call it a meal, or munch on it throughout the day, adding small portions to other meals.

You can add almost anything to this salad to get some good nutrients, from fruits and nuts to veggies like carrots and celery. Or even some hard boiled eggs.

wlsvbwsm2stn.jpeg
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love mixing a can of refried beans, 1 lb of ground turkey, and peppers and onions. I also add some taco seasoning and cumin for flavor. Sometimes I eat it with rice, sometimes on corn tortillas. You can add tomatoes and lettuce if you want to fill out the meal even more.

I find that the calories are pretty good considering that a small portion keeps me filled up and happy for a good long while. I can also make it ahead of time and freeze it. I put it into a storage bag, press it flat, and fold it to make portions that I can break off and microwave at my convenience.