Please lift me up today.

Options
I usually don’t ask for this. But I’m really struggling. My weight has got me severely depressed. I’m 194 at 5 foot. I have lost weight before and for some reason my mind is telling me I can’t this time. I feel so dang overwhelmed. 50 pounds to lose. Yesterday was a very bad day of eating. Tom is coming and it always derails my efforts. I have them munches and hunger for a whole week. I just need encouragement. Thank you all for always answering my posts.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    TOM is always tough for me too. It's okay to suffer through and eat at maintenance. Just being on here and trying is a million steps ahead. The only times I wasn't able to get back on track were the times that I just stopped focusing, and by being here and asking for encouragement, you're still focused on it, so that's excellent!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Just keep plugging away. Hugs. You can do this.

Baby steps.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I usually don’t ask for this. But I’m really struggling. My weight has got me severely depressed. I’m 194 at 5 foot. I have lost weight before and for some reason my mind is telling me I can’t this time. I feel so dang overwhelmed. 50 pounds to lose. Yesterday was a very bad day of eating. Tom is coming and it always derails my efforts. I have them munches and hunger for a whole week. I just need encouragement. Thank you all for always answering my posts.

Break it down in manageable steps. 50lbs over 12 months is about 4-5lbs a month. Smaller goals will build into bigger ones. Some people eat at maintenance when TOM hits, and while it may slow down efforts a bit it's better than gaining weight. It's all about the long game, and finding strategies to dealing with the speedbumps.
  • kellycz
    kellycz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try not to focus on the 50 pounds… it can be overwhelming. Take it one day at a time instead. You said yesterday was a bad eating day, so just focus on eating better today and planning to eat better tomorrow. TOM makes me ravenous as well. I try to incorporate lots of extra walking during that time to help burn at least some of the extra calories I consume. Hang in there!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    I know it can be overwhelming, but if we can do it so can you.

I think patience is a most important thing to bring to this process. If you stick to your goals for a little more than a few months, you'll get results.

I find that the best way to get out of my own head and start feeling better is to help someone else. How about if you start posting encouraging thoughts to other people in the forums? It will help them and it will get you out of your funk.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Every pound is a win. Looking at the whole amount is overwhelming. I also break it down into five pound mini goals. You can do this. Set up your deficit so that it isn’t the most aggressive. I know it’ll take longer, but it will also make life more liveable and weight loss less of a punishment. If you allow yourself SOME enjoyable food every day, I think it’s more sustainable. But that’s just me.
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. We all have set backs, just brush it off and start a new the next day. Its a journey and a process.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Being premenstrual can affect my mood so I always try to be extra active at that time, as exercise helps my mental state. (I realize this is not universally true.)

I get hungrier premenstrually and used to indulge with a pint or two of Ben & Jerry's, but eventually realized I was just a little hungrier and eating at maintenance plus my exercise calories was really all I needed to do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,554 Member
    Options
    Weight management is not about one day or a few. It's about the patterns and habits we create in our lives, about the things we do most days, not some days.

Be kind to yourself: Guilt or self-recrimination are not helpful; they feel bad, and burn no extra calories.

If something happens where we go off-plan, it can make sense to spend a little time (no more than 10 minutes) thinking about why that happened, and how we'll change things in the future so that things work better next time those circumstances arise. Then we let it go, and return to our regular plan as soon as we can manage. Plan, adjust, improve. It's a process.

Some women choose to intentionally go to maintenance calories for a few crucial days at TOM. That's just one option. There are others.

It'll be OK, really. You can do this.

Best wishes!