help with tracking gardening for exercise

alb3570
alb3570 Posts: 9
edited October 1 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone! Today I did some yard work, and I figured out that when I took out breaks for lunch and water, I worked for about 4 hours total. When I put it in the exercise tracker under Gardening, general, it tells me I burned over 1200 cals. I worked pretty hard and have the sore arms and back to prove it :-) , but according to the tracker I accomplished my entire weekly exercise goal in one day. Do you think this is actually the case? TIA

Replies

• HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Since I dont have an HRM, I would knock off a couple hundred calories, eat 1/2 of the remaining back and call it a very good day! :smile:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    I wear my HRM while working in the garden, lots of bending, down on knees, getting up, twisting, carrying...I burn 275 calories per 50 minutes.

When I mow the lawn it is usually around 240 calories per 40 minutes.

I'm 252 lbs, male and 51 years old so it would be different for you, but I don't think that would be too far off. Maybe just say 1000 to be conservative.
  • I believe it, but I wouldn't not exercise for the rest of the week even though you've done extra. Stick to your plan for exercise
    and enjoy the bonus calorie burn. If you really wanted to, you could eat some of those calories back and it wouldn't hurt you.
    I just wouldn't go crazy or eat any trigger foods that might start cravings. Hope that is helpful.
  • I agree with HarlCarl!
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    I always feel like gardening is very high burn on here, so when I log it, I always just log 1/2 the time I actually was out working. I feel like its more realistic based on how I feel when I'm done.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    I always feel like gardening is very high burn on here, so when I log it, I always just log 1/2 the time I actually was out working. I feel like its more realistic based on how I feel when I'm done.

That's what I do too!
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    I have had that happen too - I am a gardener as well. Not sure how to find out if it's accurate or how mfp gets the original calorie calculation. But I do know that you did an awesome job - and that gardening is a great burn :) feel free to add me as fellow gardening friend!!

Jeannemarie333
  • alb3570
    alb3570 Posts: 9
    Thanks everyone! Great suggestions! I halved the time just to be safe.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member

That's what I do too!

I do this as well; and with cleaning as well because the calorie burn for cleaning seems high as well, so i just enter in half the time (if i did something for 4 hours, i just enter two).I dont do this with everything, only things that i really feel like "i did a good job, but not THAT good".
This discussion has been closed.