Where should I weigh myself?

Options
Where's the best place to weigh myself?

All these years I've been weighing myself inside a laundry on small cubed tiles with the scale pressed against the wall. The room is raised above ground level but obviously has a floor.

However today I weighed myself outside on concrete and there was a 3.7kg difference going up the scales.

What should I go with?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Outside. It sounds better. Do that place from now on.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree the scale being up against the wall might have been a problem, but otherwise I don't know that it matters as long as you're being consistent so you have fewer variables.

I've noticed a similar oddity in my own bathroom. One spot will give me one weight, but shifted over a bit so the scale is resting on different tiles will give me a different weight. Very weird. I can't just keep the scale in place so the best I can do is put it as close to the same spot every time. Maybe the number isn't totally accurate, but if I'm consistent it will at least give me a weight trend to watch.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Outside. It sounds better. Do that place from now on.

Only if you do what I do and weigh yourself in nothing but your undies!
  • asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The key here is consistancy.

If you weigh yourself at the same spot, same time, with the same clothes (or similar) every time - it doesn't matter if the scale is slightly off or different from what it would've been at a different spot. You'll still see your trend moving in the right direction (hopefully).
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily right after toileting, in my bathroom on a tile floor. I'm nude. The scale is centered onto one tile. I don't think it really matters where and how you weight or how often. You're still going to lose weight if eat in a deficit. The scale will help you determine (along with other things) that you are indeed losing weight.

At the doctor's office, I usually weight fully clothed, at the end of the day, with shoes and sometimes with my purse and or phone in my pocket. I always weight 5-7lbs heavier (go figure), but there is still a trend of weight loss being recorded.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    agree it's more about consistency. i mean some people will find the place and time where they weight the least amount as it makes them feel all the better but it really doesn't matter if you are just tracking progress/trend.

the number on a scale any given day/time is really just a number. in itself it means little. the numbers tracked within similar context over time THAT gives you information you can use.

i weight myself in clothes before dinner around 4-5 daily. in my washroom cuz it's the best place i've found to keep the scale. do i weight more than if I did this first time in the morning naked? sure! but i'm more about tracking progress and trend of my weight with some consistantcy (same time of day, same approx time from lunch, before diner, similarly weight of clothes). it doesn't really matter if I could say I weight 2lbs less if I did the same thing in the morning, the progress is still there.

ETA: for fun I actually have two scales. they never give me the same number :P sometimes the numbers are pretty different too using both at the same time. so it's all sorta general data points.