Reality: Exercise didn't prevent my heart attack but it definitely saved me

Options
For the better part of 20 years, I've been a solid 4 day a week gym goer, I'd consider myself more of a body builder (term used loosely) than a fitness enthusiast. I like building muscle, I eat pretty healthy, I'm active and atheletic. I'd consider myself in great shape for someone in their mid 40s.

I weigh 158lbs, resting heart rate is around 52-56, BP is solid 120/70, body fat around 14%, cholesterol 104. So what could go wrong? Famous last words. Lol.

Well, genetics and family history. Mother had a heart attack at 60 and survived, grandfather had a heart attack and died at 35 and then I come along an have one a couple months ago. I don't remember a heart attack being on my to-do list.

What gives? I did everything by the book. I quit smoking 20 years ago, no fried food, lots of veggies, water, occasional booze, lots of exercise and activity. My friends were constantly asking what I did to maintain such a good shape and I would tell them everything. I was annoying at times because I would tell them the food they were eating was crap. Guess it got back to me. Hahah.

The nutshell is that some of my arteries are weak. The minimal plaque that was lining the walls broke off and blocked the "widow maker" artery. I woke up to a slightly tight chest. I've felt something like it before after doing some serious weight training. No biggie, right. Stretch it out like you always do and you'll be fine. Not this time. As the pain that was dead center in my chest got worse, I couldn't ignore it and called 911. This was 15 minutes after it woken me out of a deep sleep. 10 minutes later, I'm in the ambulance being told I'm having a heart attack and eating nitro like it was candy. It has no taste for those wondering.

All in all, everything is as good as it can be. I have a shiny new stent and a really cool list of medications that I can't pronounce and a couple new doctors whose names I can. My heart is physically damaged with scarring. I've been in cardiac rehab for almost a month and even though walking 2.5mph for 10 minutes on a treadmill is pushing my current abilities, it's better than what could have happened.

My cardiologist said my heart was very strong during the entire event. They make is sound like a movie premiere. She said it was a combination of a healthy exercise and eating lifestyle and calling 911 and NOT ignoring the pain, is what saved me. I'm sure a lot of people don't want to hear this side of the story but that was my reality.

What do I think saved me? Modern medicine and the doctors and staff that were involved. Maybe the exercising kept me alive long enough for the paramedics to make sure I didn't drop.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Glad you made it and are doing rehab. You’ll be back in full swing soon. Keep it going.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Knowing the symptoms and calling 911 right away likely saved your life. Most people don’t know the symptoms and simply ignore them. My brother had a heart attack and the cardiac rehab program was incredible. Keep going with your exercise background and dedication to a healthy lifestyle you will be back as good as new in no time.
  • kytdkyt
    kytdkyt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's scary; you did everything right and still had a heart attack. Just goes to show, we should treat every day as a blessing, live life to the fullest and not take anything for granted. Glad you're doing well!
  • nisie3
    nisie3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I’m glad you’re ok. It reminds me of when Bob Harper has his heart attack. You can be so healthy and fit and still get one.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Genetics and family history do have a role. My husbands father had a heart attack @ 39, and 2 of his uncles in their 40’s. None had weight issues, all lean and active. High cholesterol is a factor. My husband has high cholesterol and been on medication for 20 years. He’s 66 now. He’s very active and always has been, very lean with no weight issues. No heart attacks so far. A 5 year cancer survivor with a family history on his mother’s side. He’s monitored every 3 months for a very slow growing recurrence that may require radiation and/or surgery within a few more years.
    I’m glad to hear you are doing well! It sounds like you are doing everything right. Paying attention to the signals your body gives you is very important. Wishing continued success to you during your recovery! Thanks for posting, it may save another persons life.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You didn't win the genetics lottery. You did everything right and it probably saved you. Your doctors will give you a program to follow. You are a survivor and that's what counts.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the great words everyone!

Rehab has been a huge eye opener for me. I'll admit I was definitely over-confident before I starting the program. Granted, I'm the youngest one there during the hours I go but that hasn't bothered me. Every week is showing improvement and I'm not winded after 10 minutes on the treadmill.

I'm really happy to be there and if it's the exercising program I need right now, I'll gladly take it!
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    nisie3 wrote: »
    I’m glad you’re ok. It reminds me of when Bob Harper has his heart attack. You can be so healthy and fit and still get one.

I watched so many videos about his experience. That guy is still motivating!
  • nisie3
    nisie3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    nisie3 wrote: »

I watched so many videos about his experience. That guy is still motivating!

He really is! So are you!!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Congratulation because over the years you took all the recommended steps to try to tilt your risks for the better and it worked because though the family gremlin did try to have its way with you, you are coming through. All the very best of wishes from me for a very long and healthy life. We have background gremlins and I'm getting to grips with understanding them.
  • gracie97007
    gracie97007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am just now reading your post. I had a heart attack a year and half ago. I met a woman in cardio rehab who was a 35 year old marathon winner. She seemed to be in tip top shape. Then she had a heart attack. Scary...like you, she exercised daily and seemed to be in perfect health. I hope you learned a lot from rehab.