Weighing In - How Often Do You Do It?

Options
HEY MFP!

I hope everyone is doing awesome. I am curious: how often do you weigh in? Weekly? Daily? Every other day?

I just cannot stay off the scale, I love getting on and my frequency has desensitized me as to whether the scale is going up or down, i.e. I don't freak out when the scale says I gained a pound. So is it okay that I keep getting on or do you find it more rewarding to get on less often?

Just curious as to your preferences, thanks!

Replies

• jeffrife
    jeffrife Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to only weigh in on Sundays (first thing when I wake up) because it was my cheat day. But now I live my Weds/Sun weigh in schedule!
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Monday morning same time every week. Seeing the number drop is enough motivation to keep me going instead of fluctuating numbers through the week. I have messed up a diet in the past because I wasn't satisfied with results weighing in 3x's a week seeing the weight all over the place.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    every wednesday :)
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday just beacuse I simple have to. I found I now understand better how my body functions. If I gain 2 pounds over night I dont freak cuz I know there is no chance in hell its fat, in most cases I track my eating and its just water my body has gained do to to much carbs!
    What I do is that I take the lowest weight from every week and use as my frame of reference, even if I weigh more the next day, just because I know my body well enough to know it has a tendence to take in water if I eat to much carbs. Also, if I really want to know how much Ive lost, I usually avoid carbs a few days before weighing in, just so I want have to much water in my body.

Its not realistic to think youll loose fat overnight, it takes at least a week, often more to actually loose anything else then just water.
  • tiajones950
    Options
    I record my weight Monday mornings each week first thing, but I weight myself a few times a day just to see which way I seem to be going. I too don't care if it says I gained a pound, it just makes me look back on what I had done that day. So far it's kept it's pattern on my chart.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Daily. It's dangerous.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter really, so long as it's at the same time. Most people here seem torecommend weekly, but since I started losing my excess weight I do it daily in the morning, after my ablutiions and before my breakfast.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I used to do it every day until I found it effecting my self-esteem. Now I just weigh Friday mornings first thing :)
  • newzgirl
    newzgirl Posts: 14
    Options
    I get on the scale the first thing every morning.

Some people don't like getting on the scale that often, but I like to know what is going on with my body. It also helps me understand how certain foods digest through my system.

For me, the scale is a very useful tool.
  • academical
    Options
    Once a week does it for me... weighing every day only disappoints me...
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    HEY MFP!

I hope everyone is doing awesome. I am curious: how often do you weigh in? Weekly? Daily? Every other day?

I just cannot stay off the scale, I love getting on and my frequency has desensitized me as to whether the scale is going up or down, i.e. I don't freak out when the scale says I gained a pound. So is it okay that I keep getting on or do you find it more rewarding to get on less often?

Just curious as to your preferences, thanks!

Of course it's okay if you like to weigh daily -- don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise! How often you weigh is a totally personal thing, and if you're okay with the fluctuations, then that's great! I am also a daily weigher - I track my weight in a spreadsheet and take the moving average from the past 5 weigh-ins, which smooths out the fluctuations.

In the end it all depends on what you are comfortable with. If weighing daily starts to affect your mood, then switch to less frequent weighings. If you enjoy your daily weigh-in, then keep on keepin' on! :)
  • BreezyDays
    BreezyDays Posts: 292
    Options
    I sometimes weigh everyday, sometimes every few days and always on Friday. As long as it doesnt get to you to see different fluctuations then do what keeps you happy. I do it to keep track of the fluctuations I guess. I dont let it bother me if it is up, in a way its a way of knowing when to drink some extra water.

So weigh away!!