Before & After The Gym

Options
What's a good snack to have before & after the gym? I'm a newbie to the gym so I need Ideas!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    On my gym wall it says have a banana or toasted teacake 1/2 hour before training.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/post-workout-nutrition.html

Give you the eating schedule for before and after, but if stuck remember, simple carbs before, protein after.
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    My body can only have water as much as an hour before workout, or i will feel like crap during, after i usually eat dinner lol because i workout right after work
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    i dont go to the gym b/c i think paying a membership fee is a waste so my house is my gym, but anyway, i usually workout first w/o any food in my stomach, read where its best to do that, and then afterwards i have half of a p90x protein bar b/c im only 110 lb but some people have a whole one. it has the necessary protein my body needs for it. And since i am up at 5am my body is rested and fresh ready to press play and get my sweat on. :laugh:
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It may be wrong, but I don't eat in the hour before working out. Afterwards, it's a banana, some melon or pineapple, or a glass of milk.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Something light before. A protein drink after your workout. I don't eat before my morning workout.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    depends how hard you are working out, what kind of workout, how LONG, etc.

I usually go straight from work so about 3-4 hours after lunch -- if I had a big lunch this is perfect for me. If I'm feeling hungry or tired, I will eat half a protein bar or all of a small one and then afterwards I will generally either have dinner or a glass of water with protein powder (my protein powder is 30 grams per serving, 150 calories). Oh and I generally have a coconut water for potassium and electrolyte replenishment after a hard workout but I don't always have one after a less strenuous workout (I just have water).

I'm not a body builder though, I do strength train but if I wanted to go for serious muscle building I'd want to change to a more body building oriented system like Catherine linked.

Overall what you should eat and when kind of differs -- you don't want to work out on a totally totally empty stomach though if your goal is improved performance so if its been a long time since you last ate you should have a FEW little bites of something - a small/half slice of bread with little bit of peanut butter for example. You don't want your body to feel like it can't give the workout its all because its running on fumes, but if you eat a TON then you're body will be trying to digest while you workout and that's no good either.

I researched this a bit all over the internet - There's not really an accepted RIGHT thing to eat or time. People vary a lot -- i saw one recommendation that when you're running you should have 8 ounces of water per 15 minutes and that would KILL me, when I work out I take just a sip or two if my throat is really dry, and generally I don't drink water at all. I end up probably drinking a half cup to a cup over an hour and then I drink a lot afterwards. But thats also because I sweat VERY VERY little so I'm not sweating myself dry in minutes like some people do.
  • ZumbaQueenKelly
    Options
    depends how hard you are working out, what kind of workout, how LONG, etc.

I usually go straight from work so about 3-4 hours after lunch -- if I had a big lunch this is perfect for me. If I'm feeling hungry or tired, I will eat half a protein bar or all of a small one and then afterwards I will generally either have dinner or a glass of water with protein powder (my protein powder is 30 grams per serving, 150 calories). Oh and I generally have a coconut water for potassium and electrolyte replenishment after a hard workout but I don't always have one after a less strenuous workout (I just have water).

I'm not a body builder though, I do strength train but if I wanted to go for serious muscle building I'd want to change to a more body building oriented system like Catherine linked.

Overall what you should eat and when kind of differs -- you don't want to work out on a totally totally empty stomach though if your goal is improved performance so if its been a long time since you last ate you should have a FEW little bites of something - a small/half slice of bread with little bit of peanut butter for example. You don't want your body to feel like it can't give the workout its all because its running on fumes, but if you eat a TON then you're body will be trying to digest while you workout and that's no good either.

I researched this a bit all over the internet - There's not really an accepted RIGHT thing to eat or time. People vary a lot -- i saw one recommendation that when you're running you should have 8 ounces of water per 15 minutes and that would KILL me, when I work out I take just a sip or two if my throat is really dry, and generally I don't drink water at all. I end up probably drinking a half cup to a cup over an hour and then I drink a lot afterwards. But thats also because I sweat VERY VERY little so I'm not sweating myself dry in minutes like some people do.

Thanks for all the info!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Bananna before - greek yogart w/tablespoon of honey after. My rule of thumb is healthy carb first then protein after.