How to increase running pace?

Options
So, I have been running for a while. Managed to get my pace to an average of 10 min miles last year but then didn’t run for about 9 weeks due to injury.

I started again in January, running 2-3 times a week. I am training for a 10km run but am really struggling to improve my pace. I went for a 6.1 mile run today and my average pace was 11.02 min miles! I’m even struggling with my 3 mile runs as well pace wise.

I do seem to run better when I am with someone else, however when I am on my own, I struggle. Are there any suggestions on how I can improve my pace but keep going for 3-6 miles?

Any help appreciated!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    1. Run more. If you are only running about 10 miles a week, gradually increase to 20 or 25. The extra miles will help more than you think. Add a day and do 4-5 mile runs instead of 3.

2. Do some very short higher speed intervals on one of your runs after you have warmed up for a mile or so. Run 25 paces fairly hard, then slow to an easy jog, then do another 25 paces hard, then slow down again. Do 5 of those the first week and increase each week until you are doing 10. Your mileage is too low to do any more formal speedwork, but the short sprints should allow you to work on leg turnover without doing any serious damage.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with running more. If you get your long run up to 8 - 10 miles then your 10k will automatically get faster.

Loads of easy miles has worked for me!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You can also run only short distances to get a faster pace like I did, I mostly ran 5ks ( I did 10ks once a blue moon) and went from a 16 minutes per mile pace to a 7:48 pace ( and still getting faster) as of this week. But it's not the distance itself that improved my pace but losing weight while improving my body strength to run by lifting. Put in the work and try your best and you will see results.
  • lornaharton
    lornaharton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find music helps if I'm not running with anyone 😊
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do more body-weight squats, like a 100 a day every other day that you're not running if you like to run every other day. Squats strengthen your legs so much and as a result you'll move faster with greater ease and more control.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Longer runs, more miles per week. A good way to do this safely is to find a good 10k training plan and stick to it. Hal Hidgon plans are popular for beginners and are generally a safe way to get faster.

Good luck.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Longer runs, more miles per week. A good way to do this safely is to find a good 10k training plan and stick to it. Hal Hidgon plans are popular for beginners and are generally a safe way to get faster.

Good luck.

This...

I did his half marathon novice 1 plan. I went from only being able to run 5 miles, to being able to run 13.57 miles in 12 weeks, and my pace improved for shorter runs.

I also agree with doing speed work 1 day a week (like intervals) on the short run day.
  • clairele84
    clairele84 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am going to do the advice given and increase my runs per week. I’m also going to have a look at Hal Hidgeon too as I going to be running a half marathon in April next year and haven’t got past the 6.2 mile mark yet!
  • SailorDH
    SailorDH Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use the short sprint intervals noted above and find it does work. I also do interval runs on the treadmill - 2 min off pace and the 5 faster - increasing each 5 min section by 0.1 or 0.2 for each segment. So if I do 45 minutes my first 5 min might be 6.1 , then 6.2, 6.3, etc. If the preceding one did not stretch me I might jump by 0.2.

Increasing the % incline can also build more strength.

Good luck