Easing back into running.

Options
matrosov65
matrosov65 Posts: 25 Member
Question for the runners in the group. I really hate running, but I need to run so I've been trying to ease myself back into it, on a treadmill for now. What would be a good routine to ease back into it. So far I've done two weeks of walking every day to condition myself a bit. Week one was 1mile at 3.5 mph speed, week 2 is 2 miles at the same pace. What would be the next logical step to take? I also do weights 3-4 times a week so I do treadmill after weights on those days.

Replies

• shalvy2007
    shalvy2007 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K app for running when I started running outside, it's a pretty simply app for beginners, it alternates between walking and running and each week the running time is increased a little.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If you like a distraction try Zombies,Run!5k training (it’s a C25k routine). What better way to get motivated to run than to feel like your being chased by zombies.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with the C25K program, but why run if you hate it? If it is cardio you are looking for, maybe choose something else? Have you always hated it? I hate running on a treadmill and will only do that if it is really miserable outside (as in -30C/-22F with a good wind or a hard rain). Maybe try going outside?
    Or do you have a dog to run with? My pups get me out even when I don't feel like it. Oh, and good tunes are a must!
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I second the C25K program, for me I really love the Zombies, run! 5k training app!
  • matrosov65
    Options
    I agree with the C25K program, but why run if you hate it? If it is cardio you are looking for, maybe choose something else? Have you always hated it? I hate running on a treadmill and will only do that if it is really miserable outside (as in -30C/-22F with a good wind or a hard rain). Maybe try going outside?
    Or do you have a dog to run with? My pups get me out even when I don't feel like it. Oh, and good tunes are a must!

It's really a mind thing. I've hated it ever since my military days years ago. Jogging around with no end goal in mind loaded with gear drove me bonkers. Point me to a fishing hole 10 miles away cross-country and I'd happily jog to it. Tell me to run 5K on a trail and I'll be going nuts in my head for the duration. But as far as benefits in terms of opening up your lungs correcting your breathing rhythm and speeding up weight loss running is probably one of the most effective bitter pills so I have to just suck it up and swallow it.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I used to use the Robert Ullery C25K podcast and it was outstanding. The recordings would give you verbal indications of when to start and stop running and it was set to appropriately tempo'd music to keep you running. Unfortunately I recently tried to download them again and it seems a few episodes are no longer available which is a real shame.

Luckily I discovered a lady named Carli Fierce had done a similar thing. Even better she has recorded two different versions one set to RnB type music (Kanye, Beyonce, Flo-rida, etc) and another using contemporary rock/classic rock (Eagles, U2, Van Halen, etc).

Definitely google her and check out her work.
  • matrosov65
    Options
    Thanks. :). Now since I'm doing it on treadmill what's the good jogging speed? 6mph suffice or I need to think faster?
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    matrosov65 wrote: »
    Thanks. :). Now since I'm doing it on treadmill what's the good jogging speed? 6mph suffice or I need to think faster?

6mph is probably going to be too fast. If you can't carry on a conversation while you run, it's too fast. You might need to start around 4mph. Maybe even as slow as you walk. You might work up to 6mph very quickly - but it took me 5 years to get there for a single mile. I'm still more comfortable around 5.5mph for any sort of distance. I've been working on it for 9 years.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I hate running inside on a treadmill, BUT my husband has really taken to it because he has a great music playlist. You can get songs that are the right tempo for you (slower, mix of fast and slow, etc.). He just loses himself in the music and the next thing he knows, his workout is complete. For me, I do the Couch to 5K program, which is amazingly good for a beginner to gradually increase distance. Can't recommend it enough! I'd guess people do it on the treadmill, but I did it outside at a local park and found that the changing scenery kept me from getting bored. Best of luck! And TAKE IT SLOW for now.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    So, every morning I get up and debate with myself whether to run or do something else. RUN wins most days unless the weather sucks ( rain, wind, blizzard). No treadmill here, so I cannot compare. I do have a love/hate with my elliptical, lol. Run, run, run! I run for an hour most days and while I may feel kind of crappy for the first mile, the rest of it is worth it. I feel good most of the rest of the day. I stay active most of the rest of the day. And, I can eat a cheeseburger once in a while.

As to speed...since I do not have a treadmill, can't help you there. In real life running, I just go. Some days 6 mph, some days better than that. Who cares? I'm not running any races.

Oh, I am 60 years old and have been running for almost 4 years. I am an ex-smoker, ex-fat lady. If I can do this, anyone can.

Good luck to you!
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You might not hate it if you ran slower, especially at first. Jogging at a slow pace is very relaxing and you will eventually speed up just b/c you have to focus to jog slowly and maintain an even rhythm. I didn't check your age, but it doesn't really matter. Slow down. I'd work up to at least 30 minutes of walking at a brisk pace before switching to any running, and then target a 4 mph pace at first with walking/jogging intervals (which can be hard on a treadmill, but do-able). Slowly switch over from walking to running--start with 10% of your distance walking, then add 10% each week. Put the jogging in the middle segment of your work out so you warm up and cool down properly. So if you cover 1.5 miles in 30 minutes walking, make the middle .15 miles a jog interval. The next week, you add another .15, to jog .3 miles total in that week, each work out. Small, steady changes will be best and *never* try to work on adding distance and improving speed at the same time. That is the best recipe for injuring. Before you know it, you will be jogging the whole 1.5 miles and ready to start adding distance. Again, never add more than 10% per week. Once you get up to a steady hour of jogging, you can start working on speed if you feel the need--but there is no reason to run faster if it will make you hate it. Slow and steady can be plenty good for you, especially if you are more likely to keep it up over the years b/c it isn't such misery.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

It's really a mind thing. I've hated it ever since my military days years ago. Jogging around with no end goal in mind loaded with gear drove me bonkers. Point me to a fishing hole 10 miles away cross-country and I'd happily jog to it. Tell me to run 5K on a trail and I'll be going nuts in my head for the duration. But as far as benefits in terms of opening up your lungs correcting your breathing rhythm and speeding up weight loss running is probably one of the most effective bitter pills so I have to just suck it up and swallow it.

• christinethefitmom
    christinethefitmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are stuck on a treadmill I would start bumping the incline while keeping the pace at 3.5mph. Try 2%. Next week at 3%. Once you can do 10% incline, the regular jog should feel easy.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Question for the runners in the group. I really hate running, but I need to run so I've been trying to ease myself back into it, on a treadmill for now. What would be a good routine to ease back into it. So far I've done two weeks of walking every day to condition myself a bit. Week one was 1mile at 3.5 mph speed, week 2 is 2 miles at the same pace. What would be the next logical step to take? I also do weights 3-4 times a week so I do treadmill after weights on those days.

Generally recommendations are not to increase mileage by more than 10% a week, and you increased it by 100% between the first and second week, so you might want to consider that you could be ramping up too fast.

Also, unless somebody is chasing you to inflict bodily harm, you don't need to run. There are other forms of cardio you could do if you really hate running (e.g., biking, swimming, skating, dancing).
  • matrosov65
    edited April 2019
    Options

Generally recommendations are not to increase mileage by more than 10% a week, and you increased it by 100% between the first and second week, so you might want to consider that you could be ramping up too fast.

Also, unless somebody is chasing you to inflict bodily harm, you don't need to run. There are other forms of cardio you could do if you really hate running (e.g., biking, swimming, skating, dancing).

Thanks Lynn, I'm in a decent enough shape. I lift weights most of the time both lower and upper body workouts so my muscles could handle it. Once I saw that my lungs can handle the pace I pushed a little on the distance. It is a walking pace and on treadmill no temperature variation no wind resistance I can read my popular mechanics on ipad and zone out. Jogging would be more difficult headspace wise but I think I can do it just to prove a point to myself. And in case of zombie apocalypse running could be very useful. :). Just seems to me that treadmill running is the best, in terms of controlling the variables,(speed distance etc), and at the same time laziest way to go. Do some weights hop on treadmill, go home see results. :). I am no longer nearly passing out after 30 weighted step ups, and that was just after two weeks of walking.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    And in case of zombie apocalypse running could be very useful. :).

If you wait until you're being chased to start running, you're not going to be in condition to outrun the threat.

My favorite running app, Zombies, Run! has already been mentioned, upthread.