Never too old to get healthy

Options
Hi my name is Sandra. I’m a diabetic and my goal is to lose 80 pounds by November 2019 so I can get healthy and off Metformin. I’m a mother of 4 children ages 17, 21, 26, and 39! I have 5 grandchildren. My husband of 31 years (yes, my first born is from my first marriage), and I joined kickboxing in January. We enjoy the workout. I wish I had taken better care of myself so I wouldn’t have gained 100 lbs over these years. Divorce really robs you But I’m taking my life back💃🏻and this year will be my year of Victory. The mental game is real but thankfully I’m winning one day at a time.

Replies

• janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    One day at a time is the key, when I am staying within my calories, I feel so much better, when I am doing what it takes to lose. In 2014, I said this was the year for me, I lost 57 pounds, at my lowest. Then stayed around there for a couple of years.Then health issues and I slowly gained back twenty pounds. I continue to track, but not always staying within calorie limits, need my head to be right again. So, basically, what I'm saying is, sounds like your on the right track, with your head right and determined this to be your year good luck. I am 59 now, 54 when I lost, so age wasn't a problem.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I started MFP as a woman in my late 50's. There's just something to be said for accomplishing a goal no matter what your age! Glad you're here on MFP, @frog23jump !
  • JMT5712
    JMT5712 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I’m 52, Mark, am a born again bike rider who is cycling Boston to New York in two weeks! Who would have thunk it? Watching consumption and doing fun stuff = weight loss. Wish I’d known in my 30s! And well done @1BlueAurora - super transformation!
  • lnov530
    lnov530 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @frog23jump I am also the mother of four. (24, 21, 12, 4) Yup that last number is right and mine all have the same daddy (married 26 years) although most people assume different because of the huge age gap. Not diabetic but have high blood pressure and also hoping to get off meds by losing weight. I have a similar goal to you (74 lbs by December 31 to start 2020 in the “1” hundreds.) Good luck in your journey. Hopefully in this online community we can motivate each other to reach our goals.

SW:280
    CW:273
    2019 Goal:199
    Final goal :150
  • lnov530
    lnov530 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Monday morning weight in 264. Down 9lbs this week. First week of actual logging every bite so I realize it’s probably all water but I’m happy anyway and do not have unrealistic expectations for week two especially considering it’s Easter.

Starting weight: 280
    Goal weight: 150
    April 8: 273
    April 15: 264
    Total weight lost:16
  • christiangeek
    christiangeek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, hi! I'm in the same boat as you guys! I'm 56, diabetic, lupus and heart stuff, so losing weight is going to overall improve my quality of life, period. I'm logging regularly and down 40 lbs in the last year. I need to step up my game this year although the lupus is proving to be an obstacle -- too many days where I don't feel like prepping/cooking/cleaning up or the pain is too bad for exercising. It's an obstacle, though, not a dead end.

Looking forward to getting healthy with you guys!
  • roslynmorris740
    roslynmorris740 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see some older people here. I am totally motivated right now, but I have always lost motivation in the past. Going back to the doctor to check my bloodwork in 2 months and rewarding myself with a sticker on my calendar every time I exercise for 35 minutes are my motivators. I do feel better and set new exercise goals for myself every few weeks. I will be 70 next month.