Should I Keto?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Point of interest: does keto exclude vegetable oils/fats as mentioned above, and if so, why? (was not aware of that)
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    kat2475 wrote: »
    I have been following a ketogenic lifestyle since July and it has honestly changed my life. I have Lupus and it has helped my chronic pain and inflammation. As a very welcome side effect, I have lost 16 pounds and 6.5” off my hips, 4.5” off my waist. It has changed my relationship with food.

Awww yay! I’m happy it’s working out for you! Are you also working out on Keto? Or is working out something I should take lightly on it?

The first couple of weeks are an adjustment as you switch from burning glucose as fuel to burning fat so exercise may be tough. I do exercise now but many keto people do not. I guess I would say I don’t exercise to lose weight. I exercise to firm up and make myself healthier. My best advice I can give you for the first few weeks is to keep your electrolytes balanced. You lose a lot of water and with that goes electrolytes. As weird as it may sound I would drink pickle juice when I felt a headache or “Keto Flu” coming on. If you want to friend me on here, feel free. I can answer any questions or help with support. I know it sounds cliche to say it has changed my life but it genuinely has. My kids have their mom back and I can finally enjoy my life.
  • HelenGerdes
    HelenGerdes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been following a ketogenic lifestyle since July and it has honestly changed my life. I have Lupus and it has helped my chronic pain and inflammation. As a very welcome side effect, I have lost 16 pounds and 6.5” off my hips, 4.5” off my waist. It has changed my relationship with food.

Awww yay! I’m happy it’s working out for you! Are you also working out on Keto? Or is working out something I should take lightly on it?

The first couple of weeks are an adjustment as you switch from burning glucose as fuel to burning fat so exercise may be tough. I do exercise now but many keto people do not. I guess I would say I don’t exercise to lose weight. I exercise to firm up and make myself healthier. My best advice I can give you for the first few weeks is to keep your electrolytes balanced. You lose a lot of water and with that goes electrolytes. As weird as it may sound I would drink pickle juice when I felt a headache or “Keto Flu” coming on. If you want to friend me on here, feel free. I can answer any questions or help with support. I know it sounds cliche to say it has changed my life but it genuinely has. My kids have their mom back and I can finally enjoy my life.

That’s actually funny bc strangely enough I love pickles and the juice! Lol. My doctor has me on a high salt diet so I do make sure to involve salt into my diet as much as possible so that sound work?
    I’m going to try and do light workouts like yoga maybe to test it out and see what end up working out for me
    Thank you, will do! (:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options

Seriously, if the answer were that working out and a keto diet weren't compatible -- that's not the answer, but if it were -- would you really think it was a good idea to commit to a diet that won't support exercising for fitness?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yeah, don’t be afraid of salt. I use pink Himalayan salt so I’m not getting any of the junk in regular table salt and it tastes so much better too.

I'm not sure what junk is in regular table salt. Usually, they add iodine, which you need. Otherwise, the trace minerals in pink Himalayan are present in such negligible quantities as to present no additional benefit. (And if you're still using it for those trace elements, keep in mind that it also contains traces of arsenic and uranium...)

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pink-himalayan-salt#section5
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315081.php
    https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/yw7a8y/is-pink-salt-good-for-you-himalayan-salt-vs-regular-salt
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pass-the-salt-but-not-that-pink-himalayan-stuff/
    https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-and-nutrition-quackery-you-asked/himalayan-pink-salt

In my experience, claims of 'junk' in things like this is usually a result of chemical names that can't be pronounced and/or aluminum.

a-lúm-inum or alu-míni-oum :lol:

I know the U.S. spelling is aluminum. The British spelling is aluminium. Where do they spell it aluminioum?

ETA: Or is aluminioum a joke referencing some TV show or movie that I missed?
  • TheMiniKeto
    TheMiniKeto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was totally addicted to carbs before doing keto. I needed to cut down on carbs due to PCOS and infertility. It has done wonders for my inflammation and hormonal acne. Doesnt hurt to try. Before I found keto I did several different ways of eating. Try what's best for you. No harm in trying different ways of eating for 30 days and pay attention to what your body responds to best. For easy keto, eggs, sugar free bacon, chicken thighs, pork loin and beef. Leafy greens have the lowest carbs cook with with salt pepper and butter.