Are cardio exercises helpful?

Options
Hello Friends,

I was having a conversation with my colleague last week regarding weight loss.

He mentioned that cardio exercises (especially brisk walking) are not good enough to lose weight.

Instead, carrying weights and calorie deficit help to lose weight.

I was concerned after listening to him because I have been doing brisk walking to lose weight.

Friends, I would like to hear your opinions about this.

Is cardio exercise (especially brisk walking) an effective exercise to lose weight?

Or is carrying weights a better option?

Thank you.

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,392 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is capable of helping you lose weight, if and only if it helps you create a calorie deficit. Certain exercises may be better to help retain body muscle, but that is a separate issue to weight loss.

You can also do a lot of any exercise and not lose weight if your diet and food control are not in check.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Cardio is great for health and fitness goals, and for burning calories that you then get to eat back. Strength training is great for preserving muscle mass while losing weight.

Just carrying weights around will probably help a little with building strength and burning a few more calories, but I’d expect the benefit to be negligible. There are better ways to achieve those goals.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy to help you lose weight. Any amount of calories you burn is good, don't try to do something you don't enjoy just because it burns a little more, you'll spend more time doing things you like, and time is the great multiplier with calories. And doing something means you're not sitting around being tempted by what's in the kitchen.

If you like walking, maybe you can find some trails through natural areas, and go hiking.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Both cardio exercises and weight lifting (what I am interpreting carrying weights to mean) can burn calories. They can be incorporated as part of a weight loss routine because they allow you to eat more and still lose weight than you would if you didn't exercise. Additionally weight lifting can help with muscle mass preservation.

So they are good things to do, but they are not required, and they cannot do the work for you alone. Most of weight loss is ultimately done in the kitchen. You have to control the number of calories you eat so you are eating at a deficit. If you do not watch what you are eating, it is very hard to lose weight on exercise alone.

There are many people here who have lost large amounts of weight without exercise at all. Others use exercise to help as part of the weight loss. I know personally, exercise helps me a lot with weight loss because it allows me to eat more. I can meet my calorie goals easier than if I didn't exercise at all. So I think it is a good thing. Don't stop what you are doing if you are already doing it. But what you eat is more important.
  • weightloss_newbie
    weightloss_newbie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,585 Member
    Options
    Walking doesn't burn lots of calories to start with, generally 0.3 * weight in lbs * distance in miles on flat terrain.
    Thus if you're 180lbs and you walk 5 miles you burn about 270kcal.
    If you carry a backpack weighing 10lbs you burn a bit more, maybe 285kcal, maybe a bit less.
    But walking, especially briskly is good for your heart!
    Not carrying weight but lifting weights burns less calories than walking as you're not active the whole time. But lifting weights builds muscles, which are great against backpain, great for bone strength, they keep you fit as you get older. Thus both is good. But weight loss mainly happens in the kitchen.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight.
    Cardio is for heart, lung and mental health (along with increasing the amount of calories you burn).
    Strength training for bone health (especially as a female), to make you look better when you lose the weight,, and generally make you a badass
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Cardio is helpful because it burns calories which help create a calorie deficit.
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking is definitely not enough for me. I walked my usual 3.5 mile walk around our lake 113 times last year (I counted!) and was generally active (average of about 18,000 steps per day but I still gained about 10 lbs.

For me weight loss is all about eating fewer calories. Exercise is great for health & feeling good. Plus it does burn *some* calories. I like to think of it as a nice buffer.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Cardio is great for health and fitness goals, and for burning calories that you then get to eat back. Strength training is great for preserving muscle mass while losing weight.

Just carrying weights around will probably help a little with building strength and burning a few more calories, but I’d expect the benefit to be negligible. There are better ways to achieve those goals.

Also, there seems to be an increased risk of injury from carrying weights. Everything I've seen recommends using a weighted vest or weighted belt if you really want to use additional weight, as opposed to increased speed or distance, to boost your energy expenditure.

https://www.verywellfit.com/before-you-buy-walking-weights-3435435
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I'd be cautious about walking with weights (unless it is a weighted vest). Carrying weights in your hands or on your ankles can put too much strain on your joints and muscles. They may also change your walking form and posture, which can lead to injury over time. It is more effective to up your pace and find a hill or two.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Most ppl have already given you all the answers - that yes walking will burn a few extra calories but really not very many in the grand scheme of things and in comparison to margins of error in food logging.

I would reiterate, do not expect to lose weight just by adding walking to your day. I have a friend who took part in a steps challenge at work, she religiously walked for hours, 20,000 steps a day for 3 months (compared to her normal sedentary lifestyle). She didn’t make any conscious changes to diet.
    At the end of the 3 months she had gained weight, and increased body fat %. So yes, walking is indeed good for you but will you lose weight by adding a 1hr walk every day, don’t count on it.