Vegetarian switch for health

mrslizcaster
mrslizcaster Posts: 7 Member
I’ve been on a vegetarian diet since Thursday and already I’m noticing big changes. For starters I’ve not slept straight trough the night in almost 10 years last night was the first. My energy during the day is increased and I am driving my hubby nuts with how much I’m doing around the house. I’m not sure if these will be permanent changes but I’m feeling like the cross country running ,soccer playing weightlifting girl from the class of 2002 is alive and kicking. Don’t get me wrong I love my meat. My family are farmers and ranches plus growing up in NoLa we were never without a good source of quality meat, seafood and vegetables. This change is for my health. If you read my earlier post you already know the deal. Has anyone here made this switch? If so what were your thoughts? Did you go crazy after a few weeks?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I eliminated meat and dairy a few months ago and also noticed increased energy, better sleep, better gym performance, and weight loss.
  • mrslizcaster
    That’s awesome. Did you miss the meat?
  • mrslizcaster

Its too early for sexual innuendo lol. ill answer honestly i liked it but quit after about a couple years because my town isnt really a vegatarian friendly place. I switched to pescatarian for about a year before i made my way back to an omnivore[/quote]

Dirty minds find an opening anywhere lol!
    I like the idea of the whole seafood diet (5th grader me just giggled) If I can get the ok from doc I would rather have the option of still having my yearly crawfish. Did you have any issues going back to meat?
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    No.

Historically only the elites ate meat in agrarian societies.

The serfs and peasants (90% of the population) worked the land, tended the livestock and were limited to eating cereal grains and legumes. Maybe some cabbage and carrots and potatoes. Almost no fruit. Maybe eggs and dairy a few times a week. They maybe ate meat once or twice a year, if that.

I'm happy to live in abundant times where meat eating is possible for the common citizen. I'm taking full advantage of that and will always.

Meat doesn't make me feel unhealthy or lethargic at all. It's starches, grains and dessert foods I overeat and feel sick on. Not meat.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    That’s awesome. Did you miss the meat?

Not at all. The dairy was more of a challenge because it is in so many desserts. These benefits were unexpected as my dietary change was an ethical decision, not for health.
  • HelenGerdes
    HelenGerdes Posts: 26 Member
    It’s been over a year since I’ve switched to a plant based diet and I literally feel better mentally, emotionally, physically. It’s been the best decision I’ve made for myself ever and think if you stick with it you’ll feel the long term effects for certain!
    I changed my diet within one day, I didn’t have any transition at all. It’s amazing how the body can naturally adjust to any diet you put and it it’ll respond greatly to if it can handle it.
    It seems almost as if a plant based diet is how we’re supposed to eat naturally. Just my theory on it.
    Hope everything works out and you stay on top of it! Have fun trying new foods and meals of sorts! Supporting you!(:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    If you want to switch to a vegetarian diet for moral reasons, more power to you. As for switching for your health. There is no evidence that a plant based diet is superior for your health than a balanced omnivorous diet that includes adequate fiber intake.