A great moment

Options
ecmorgan101
ecmorgan101 Posts: 24 Member
I teach high school and am a wrestling coach.

Back sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, after the wrestlers vacated the locker room, I stripped down and hopped on the scale. 297 pounds. For my health insurance update fitness check, they recorded my weight as 305 (clothed) roughly a month before.

I resolved to change and have steadily been losing weight for about 4 months or so.

Earlier this morning, I'm in the shower. I hear screaming, banging on the bathroom door, "Daddy!" My three girls are not fighting. They're brawling.

I jump out of the shower, grabs a towel and wrap it around my waist without thinking. Let me say that again. I wrap it around my waist.

I look in the mirror and think "holy sh*$!" Before breaking up the fight, I remove the towel and hop on the scale.

Instead of rewarding myself with food, I went for a run.

Signs have been everywhere of course. While I've only lost a couple inches around my belly, I've lost inches elsewhere - my neck, hips/butt, etc. NONE of my clothes fit right anymore. I need to go shopping but am closing on a house in a couple weeks so I'm hunkered down financially for now.

There was just something about that towel that made it snap in my head that it is working. And I've not felt this excited in a very long time.

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Great story, I know what you mean and how you feel. Recently I realized that my wedding band fits again! There are so many small changes which we need to be proud of. 1 year gone, just over 30 kg (68 pounds) gone and much more to go.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Great story and I can related to two things you shared, the towel wrap and needing to go buy clothes. I never developed a joy of clothes shopping so this is work to me. I tried it once and came back empty-handed. Will try again and must come back with some new threads. Keep up your great work and keep marching forward.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It’s funny how people have their different moments where it “clicks”.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!! Really enjoyed your story. Keep it up... waiting to read chapter 2 :smile:
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Love your story and be PROUD!!!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Woot!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Great story and I can related to two things you shared, the towel wrap and needing to go buy clothes. I never developed a joy of clothes shopping so this is work to me. I tried it once and came back empty-handed. Will try again and must come back with some new threads. Keep up your great work and keep marching forward.

Some of the major department stores have people you can make an appointment with - for free - who will help you find clothes. I did this once for my husband. You tell them the kind of thing you’re looking for and they take your measurements and then bring you stuff to try on. They know their merchandise well and usually have good fashion sense. They suggested a shirt for my husband that I never in a million years would have suggested for him but which was amazing. Their goal is to sell clothes for the store, but they will stay within your budget range.

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Some of the major department stores have people you can make an appointment with - for free - who will help you find clothes. I did this once for my husband. You tell them the kind of thing you’re looking for and they take your measurements and then bring you stuff to try on. They know their merchandise well and usually have good fashion sense. They suggested a shirt for my husband that I never in a million years would have suggested for him but which was amazing. Their goal is to sell clothes for the store, but they will stay within your budget range.

Thanks for the tip. It’s trying the stuff on that I don’t like. Taking your pants off, putting on the ones you might buy, gargle, rinse and repeat. I’d rather swing my kettlebells or take a run if I’m going to do a huff and puff workout.

Thanks again.

• mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    That's great--but who won the fight? Hahaha; I know the answer: Dad!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Great moment indeed! And that's all it takes....something to spark that inner healthy person wanting out! Enjoy the journey!
  • ecmorgan101
    ecmorgan101 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »

I think I did win the fight!

I remember once when the girls were much younger. The twins were 6 and their little sister just turned four. The little one came and asked for a wooden spoon.

"What do you need it for?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes at me and said, "There are two of them!"
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »

I think I did win the fight!

I remember once when the girls were much younger. The twins were 6 and their little sister just turned four. The little one came and asked for a wooden spoon.

"What do you need it for?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes at me and said, "There are two of them!"

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I have twins too - I feel her!
  • SailorDH
    SailorDH Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations- I know the joy of being able to cover with a towel - when that used to not be an option. Like you my journey started last fall - and I have seen the pounds run away . Great feeling - enjoy !! Be proud
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!