Newbie advice please ?

Options
I’ve had this app 2 weeks now,
48 year old bloke , 6’3’, bit of a Chubster (just over 20 st)
I cook for myself, healthy stuff (nothing deep fried, no take aways , no alcohol etc) lots of fruit & veg
As I want to lose some weight I’ve set the app to 2lbs a week, it’s given me 1850 cals a day which I hover around (1800-1900 etc)
I get almost zero exercise at the moment ( try to but packed with work this week, last week a 1hr mountain bike ride) , still thought I’d lose some but after a couple of pounds first week, nothing since. I’ve logged all my food in the app if anyone would like to look ? If you can see it
I was (historically) quite greedy & generous with my portions, but I bought some rosemary Conley portion scoops 2 weeks ago , so rice , couscous bran flakes etc now measured out and I tell the truth re amount when entering it in the app. (Usually I have 300 cals worth per meal)
Shouldn’t I be shifting at least 1-2 lbs/ week ? Any advice appreciated !

I’ve also been taking those XLS medical max strength , I shifted 1/2 stone 3 weeks ago but nothing since.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Keith

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,055 Member
    Options
    May I recommend a digital food scale....measuring spoons/cups are way off ...wishing you the very best...and be patient...you didn't gain weight over night and it will not fall off over night :) YOU GOT THIS
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing/measuring all the food you're eating before you eat it? If you aren't, it's very likely that you could be eating well over 2500 calories a day and think you're eating 1800. Step one is to increase accuracy by weighing and measuring. Stop taking XLS medical max strength...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I cook for myself, healthy stuff (nothing deep fried, no take aways , no alcohol etc) lots of fruit & veg
    As I want to lose some weight I’ve set the app to 2lbs a week, it’s given me 1850 cals a day which I hover around (1800-1900 etc)
    I get almost zero exercise at the moment ( try to but packed with work this week, last week a 1hr mountain bike ride) , still thought I’d lose some but after a couple of pounds first week, nothing since. I’ve logged all my food in the app if anyone would like to look ? If you can see it
    I was (historically) quite greedy & generous with my portions, but I bought some rosemary Conley portion scoops 2 weeks ago , so rice , couscous bran flakes etc now measured out and I tell the truth re amount when entering it in the app. (Usually I have 300 cals worth per meal)

I’ve also been taking those XLS medical max strength , I shifted 1/2 stone 3 weeks ago but nothing since.

Keith

With such little exercise, I'd say might not really be a deficit. But also, 2 weeks isn't a very long time and many don't see a reduction in the body weight scale (which is a deceptive tool), especially in such a short period of time.

6’3” TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): 2930 Calories. Which means your calories are a deficit *IF* they match what you actually consumed.

Since so much can not be measured with the body weight scale... I love to say "focus on the food scale not the body weight scale" because even if you never stepped on the scale again, if you focus on the food scale, with meticulous consistency, your pants sizes will drop even if you never stepped on the scale.

Rather than weeks, focus on months for results. Your best results will be seen in the next 2-6 months if you are diligent about the food scale and a true slight calorie deficit, with or without exercise.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Keith

With such little exercise, I'd say might not really be a deficit. But also, 2 weeks isn't a very long time and many don't see a reduction in the body weight scale (which is a deceptive tool), especially in such a short period of time.

6’3” TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): 2930 Calories. Which means your calories are a deficit *IF* they match what you actually consumed.

Since so much can not be measured with the body weight scale... I love to say "focus on the food scale not the body weight scale" because even if you never stepped on the scale again, if you focus on the food scale, with meticulous consistency, your pants sizes will drop even if you never stepped on the scale.

Rather than weeks, focus on months for results. Your best results will be seen in the next 2-6 months if you are diligent about the food scale and a true slight calorie deficit, with or without exercise.

All of this advice is pretty solid, except for the beginning. He could literally be sitting around all day at 280 lbs and if he consumed 1800 calories, he'd be in a deficit.
  • keith022019
    keith022019 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by ‘in deficit ‘ ? Does that mean a shortfall ie consume less calories than used so lose weight ?
    In reply to all this ‘IF’ that’s all you consume ‘ - well I’ve told the truth in my food diary in the app, have no reason to lie and no secret biscuit eating etc. And as stated above, anything loose/ not already a portion is measured
    I don’t really know apart from that, how to count calories