Where to add the clay?

37F and been back to lifting heavy for about 5 weeks. As you can see I’m built pretty blocky in my middle and store pretty much all my weight in my gut. I was reading about approaching weight training like sculpture: adding “clay” where you want to grow by focusing on training that part of your body. So, should I not train my abs? Obviously I’m working on trying to lose weight as well.

Replies

• dblanke01
    dblanke01 Posts: 35 Member
    afr9kqf1m62k.jpeg
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Yes train your abs. A well supported abdomen looks much better than one that is not, even with fat on top.

Also a good lifting programme will work your abs. You need a strong set of abdominal, and back muscles to progress.

Cheers, h.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Don't be afraid to train your abs, but you can do that as part of your compound movements. You don't necessarily need isolated ab exercises. If you concentrate on building up your shoulders and abductors, you can help simulate a bit more of an hourglass shape.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Off topic, but that is a really cool fireplace!
  • dblanke01
    @JohnnytotheB thank you! I painted it myself and to be honest it was a complete b**** of a job!
  • dblanke01
    @mom23mangos thanks for the tip. I have a torn labrum so no upper body right now. 😭😭😭. Favorite abductor exercises?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I'm probably not the best person to recommend abductor exercises, I just use the abductor machine and/or banded side to side and monster walks. Mine could stand some building up too. The Bret Contreras programs are probably best for that if you want to look into any of those.
  • dblanke01
    @mom23mangos I read about “adding clay” on Bret’s website actually! I really need to get his book.