Eating ALOT before bed

Options
If you eat ALot of food before bed (10pm) and wake up super early like 4am.....do you usually weigh more? Is undigested food still in your stomach?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily in your stomach, but still "in process" as it were. Also water weight.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat majority of my Cal's late in day (10 pm) and wake up at 5. I am about 3 lbs lighter if I wait until after the gym to weigh myself (5 am vs 7 30 am, drinking 1.5 l of water at the gym)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I’m practicing OMAD and eat all my food within a 2-hour feeding window once the sun sets. I go to bed full and wake up weighing 1.4 to 2.0 lbs. less than bedtime weight. My morning weight is probably 1 to 3 lbs. heavier than prior to eating.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    If you eat ALot of food before bed (10pm) and wake up super early like 4am.....do you usually weigh more? Is undigested food still in your stomach?

I just pigged out at this late hour and had a cup of coffee and getting ready to go to bed and hope I am still asleep at 4am but by 6 am I will weight about a pound less (from breathing all night) and another 2 pounds less after my first trip to the bathroom.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Food has 7 main components:, water, ruffage (indigestible matter), digestible matter (carbohydrates, protein, and fat that are converted to energy), and vitamins and minerals (which have neglible weight). You convert the digestible matter into energy and fat stores, which you burn throughout the night, even when you are sleeping. The indigestible matter you pass by going to the bathroom. The water (a lot of food is majority water) is passed by either going to the bathroom or through sweating, which you also do in your sleep.

So if you eat a lot and weigh yourself only a few hours later, you will weigh more than if you did it sfter more time passes, because you will not have gone to the bathroom as much, you will not have sweated as much, and your body will not have burned as much energy.

This is a bit of a simplification, but one made for illustrative purposes.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I definitely weigh less in the morning then when I go to bed, even without using the toilet. The reasons are perspiration, exhaled water vapor, and exhaled CO2. Of those, the CO2 represents actual body mass lost rather than "water weight." I read that the average person exhales over two pounds of CO2 per day!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The food isn't necessarily in your stomach, but some of the waste is still in your digestive tract and bladder. However, you should weigh less in the morning than you did when you went to bed. Your body has had several hours to metabolize that food.

Honestly, it's not very useful to weigh right before bed, unless you're just doing it out of curiosity. It doesn't give you a lot of information about your overall weight trend.